Lining paper width - 55cm or 75cm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be purchasing some Wallrock lining paper for a ceiling (http://www.mavwallcoverings.co.uk/info_adhesive.html)

It's available in 2 widths - 55cm and 75cm. Works out about the same price per square metre.

I'm thinking of going with the 75cm as there will be less lengths needed and therefore less seams. Are there any disadvantages of using the wider width 75cm paper?

I'll be using "paste the wall" ready mixed adhesive if that makes any difference.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hmm never done a ceiling in 75cm.. I would'nt want to now im 58 and gettin frozen shoulders lol.. But think maybe, it might be a bit of a stretch to reach out and smooth as your apply upwards. have you got long arms ? (great on walls ). Some points I picked up with this wallrock: It is good for cracks (reinforced) but you must fill cracks and smooth them as slightest belmish will be magnified. I found emulsion will raise the grain, not a very nice texture and takes a lot of sanding. I lined over the wallrock once to smooth surface.. But hey! the wallrock will hold back troublsome cracks where ordinary lining will 'ripple' in time.

Have fun
John

Thanks for your help, very useful info!

I have relatively short and weak arms so I think it's best if I use the standard 55cm width.

I plan to line over the Wallrock with 800 grade lining to get a smoother finish with emulsion.

I cant see the point in using the walrok fibreliner and then having to line over it again because it has a slight textured surface

Save those weak arms and line it once with ordinary 1000 grade....the wider suff will probably only save you having to hang one, maybe two lengths...and could be hard work on a ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Zampa - you recommended that I use linen backed lining paper then standard grade on top of that (as my ceiling has lots of filled cracks) in this thread:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=115473

Can't find linen backed anywhere and I've been told by many stores that Wallrock will do the same job.

I'll have family "helpers" so the arm strength issue is not too much of a problem :)

I checked that wallrok stuff yesterday but couldnt find anything about it being meant for surfaces that have a little movement in them.

I have used a similar stuff..its based on polyester Acrylic fibres so it will be pretty tough...but im not sure if its designed to keep movement at bay

Thats why I mentioned the linen backed gear...you cant tear it with your bare hands..

If the Walrok suits that purpose id go for it cos it looks simple to apply...I wish I could find some technical data for you

In the meantime...lined backed lining paper should be easily available form trade centres.

Cheers, will keep looking for the linen stuff. I'll also pick up a roll of Wallrock to see what it's like.

Yep good diea..if you can tear it by hand I wouldnt bother.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back