Lintel over garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a garage door opening ~8'4" that i need to put a lintel over.
The lintel will support ~6 rows of blockwork.
Either side of the door i only have 6 inches (150mm) of blockwork to support the lintel on...i could possibly make it a little more but would mean knocking a lump out of the house!
Will a regular load bearing lintel be OK for this app?
Cheers,
Martin.

Sponsored Links
all lintels are load bearing. what exactly did you have in mind.

i do believe openings over 1.8m wide require calcs regardless of whether you use structural steel or a proprietary pressed steel variety.

Hi noseall...yeah true i guess...wouldnt use a lintel unless you wanted to support something i guess!!

Took all the measurements last night and this is exactly what i need to do.

Garage door opening will be 8'5" (2.56 M) and 7' high.
Either side of garage door will be 8" long cavity block walls (18*9*4 dense block..100mm cavity).
The reason the walls are only 8" either side of door is because the garage is quite narrow...~9'9".

So above these lintels i require 7 courses of cavity wall (block 18*9*4 dense)

Will 4" square 9'6" lintel (that gives >150mm either side) do the trick?

The regs here say you can go to 9' opes using concrete lintels after that you must use catnics or steels but im not sure if there are diff grades of concrete lintels.

Many thanks,
Marty

i would be inclined to use a heavy duty catnic type, though professional advice from a designer or structural engineer will make things clearer.

Sponsored Links
Cheers ill price a catnic sure and go from there.
Have been looking around though and see quite a few opes that are ~9foot that appear to have regular lintels...mostly windows.
Thanks
Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back