Lintels - can someone explain what we've got?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am stumped by what is stopping us putting up a curtain pole. I can see that we have a reinforced concrete lintel over the window as it is visible from outside, but drilling above and to the right of that and we've hit what feels like steel. Is that right? Could someone describe or post an image of what it would look like inside, and then give us some advice of what to do about drilling into/above/around it? How big might it be? Thanks for any help :D

Sponsored Links
If its a cavity wall you could have a steel lintel internally and concrete externally..
Or have you considered you have hit some reinforcement in the concrete lintel? Try drilling 20mm below or above

We've drilled around 10cm wider than the lintel shows - it's showing on the external wall and obviously we're drilling inside - but I'm guessing that the steel internal lintel would be wider... any idea how much wider? Thanks!

Do you have a "normal" house or is is a system built/ex council one?

I cant think that a property would have a steel lintel internally when a concrete one was used externally. It would normally be the other way around or two concrete ones

If there was a steel lintel then in most cases, if you tap the plaster it will sound hollow or noticeably different to a known solid part of the wall. Unless its all dry lined that is

If the property is older than mid 60's then it would more likely have a concrete lintel, and if newer, a steel one

150mm up from the head of the opening and past the sides would normally be the end of a concrete lintel

Could it be that your drill is under powered, or bit blunt?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody - could well be that the drill is underpowered I think. The property is mid 60s so I guess it could be either but it definitely feels like smooth metal when I dig around a bit inside the hole that was drilled (that stopped when it hit whatever's in there!)

If it is either concrete or steel what damage could we do drilling into it or is that ok? I must sound like a right idiot but just can't see what other people would do in order to hang a simple curtain rail!

Not drilling above a light switch are you? Could be the gavanized steel protective covering to the cables :!: :idea:

[/url]http://www.catnic.com/how_to_select_a_lintel.aspx

maybe a catnic..is the window opening original?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back