Little Plumber Electronic Descalee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved to a property and on the wall in the boiler room is an LP electronic descaler - it’s turned off but all wired and in place

Saw some very old thread on this kind of things from 10+ years ago with inconclusive results - the science is also a little sketchy on this one

Is it worth turning it back on or shall I just take it of the wall to scrap?

Attachments

• IMG_0507.jpeg
    IMG_0507.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
Screwfix have this unit, part number 1436f. We have one fitted on our boiler, not fitted by us, was there when we bought the house. The reviews are mixed but I can say our hot taps & shower heads are clear of limescale. I will probably renew at sometime as its will be like 4 like. We live in a hard water area.
Will be interesting to hear what the professionals have to say but again I feel it coukd be mixed reviews.

We’ve been here for about 5 weeks and I’m still finding things as I work my way through service improvements - now I’ve sorted the Vaillant dual boiler system that was not installed correct things like this are appearing in front of me

I guess there is a reason it’s powered off, maybe it’s faulty or the snake oil got low

Other opinions are welcome

Sponsored Links
It does seem flaky, but it does seem that it can reduce the amount of calcite in the lime that does drop out, as I have not tried it myself I am not yet ready to say it is actually snake oil. Might as well try it for a few months, they are only quite low powered.

It's junk and will do nothing.
Even the manufacturers of them can't explain how they work.

It's junk and will do nothing.
Even the manufacturers of them can't explain how they work.

Oh, but they come up with most creative mumbo-jumbo about "how they work" [i.e. presupposing that do]

but are (ahem) more reticent on the subject of independent trials evidencing that they do anything but sweet FA.

Last edited:
I know these seem like Snake Oil but I bought a similar device from a car boot sale for a couple of quid new/unused. I am an electronics Engineer and very sceptical of all these things. Anyway, I've had it years now and it does work! I'm in a hard water area too!

Anywhere there is one fitted you might as well power it. The consumption is minute.

Research on them is minimal. But this is mainly because there is no vested interest in financing it.

But I was involved with the launderette industry where there is considerable interest.

I am convinced that there is an effect using a powerful permanent magnet under the right conditions. The small low power electronic ones are harder to believe in having a useful effect but anyone who has one might as well leave it connected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back