living room spotlights

And just because you have a certificate doesn't mean you have a clue how to do something. I did a PAT course and actually know nothing about it because the college were so focused on passes that all we did in reality was go through old exam papers so we knew a million questions off by heart. When we sat the exam we knew all the answers. Fortunately for me its not something I use or need to know about in my work. But I could go out with my certificate and pass allsorts of dodgey stuff if I wanted.

Sponsored Links
But I could go out with my certificate and pass allsorts of dodgey stuff if I wanted.
but you don't do you, as you concede that you are not experienced enough in that field and would not endanger life by passing unsatisfactory equipment.

So the difference between that and rewiring your property is?

Running cables is easy. and I am not about to pay a fortune for some one to do that aspect of the electrics when I can do that myself.
That's why I ask the odd question to make sure I get it right because I do not know everything. Hence the question about double pole in the bathroom as I want to get it right.

I have answered that question for you. Cables must be installed in permitted safe routes/zones or be mechanical protected, I believe that has not changed since the last amendment of 16th editions and the current 17th editions.
But you must have the design of the circuit correct, including any de-rating correction factors and be sure you have the configuration correct, so you have functional circuit, otherwise routing is pointless!

Sponsored Links
I cant keep asking my electrician as he busy and doesn't always reply.
I do all work myself as I cant afford to pay the high rates they charge just to run cables etc.
Those high prices are often a result of people like yourself who seem to think that electricians will tell them everything they need to know at any time, all for free.
After which they will pop round to your house to just connect up a couple of cables here and there, magically make everything safe and compliant, and only charge you for half an hour's work.

In the real world, persons who insist on doing half the job themselves generally end up paying more than if the electrician / plumber / builder / other did the whole lot.

Nope the electrician is a friend who is helping me out.
The 4mm cable isn't pointless when its a brand new roll that was free.
As for no change with a socket in a bathroom from 16th to 17th.. I did my 16th part 1 and we were told no sockets in a bathroom. I think you will find that there is a change as I was reading the info on a electrical outlets site.
Cables are all protected where required and factors accounted for with insulation where cables run through it. Even down to the fire rating of the ceiling void because of the spots.
If you needed to change the oil and filter on your car, would you do it yourself or pay £90 per hour to the dealership? Then again as an electrician its a known fact they don't like getting there hands dirty and that's why they are not mechanics.

The 4mm cable isn't pointless when its a brand new roll that was free.
Yes, it is - even more pointless if it was free.
Think about it.

As for no change with a socket in a bathroom from 16th to 17th.. I did my 16th part 1 and we were told no sockets in a bathroom. I think you will find that there is a change as I was reading the info on a electrical outlets site.
Nope.

If you needed to change the oil and filter on your car, would you do it yourself or pay £90 per hour to the dealership?
A poor comparison but -
I would have to if I didn't know how to do it nor have the tools.

Then again as an electrician its a known fact they don't like getting there hands dirty and that's why they are not mechanics.
Now you're being silly.

For instance I was given a shed load of new twin and earth, but old colours, I didn't use and bought new colours. The original wiring in the house is old colours and everyone is happy with that even though it was the worst wired house I had seen and was given the thumbs up by the surveyors. Is there anything wrong with old colours? NO. Just because some one in an office decides we should change it. In fact the old colours are more obvious to understand. Some ones making a killing somewhere! And we ran 4mm for the downstairs ring. 16th edition says no sockets in bathrooms, 17th allows it now. Suddenly death in the bathroom isn't as important as it once was.

So I am no idiot as you imply.
There's no reason whatsoever why someone who knew what they were doing could not have used non harmonised cable.

If you're doing a complete rewire, why would you consider using non-harmonised cable?

For a start, it would be getting on for 10 years old.

It's out of date, and chances are you wouldn't necessarily have enough anyway.

I had loads of non harmonized wire and it would have saved me a lot of money to use it, after all the original wiring was non harmonized. But as it is a complete rewire I bought all new harmonized to comply with regs and the building inspector. We also have replaced the old fuse box for a new consumer unit with RCDs etc. New meter tails as well so the consumer unit can be located in a accessible place.

But as it is a complete rewire I bought all new harmonized to comply with regs and the building inspector.
Yo - sorry - thought (for some reason) you were keeping some of the existing cables.

New meter tails as well so the consumer unit can be located in a accessible place.
How long are the tails?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back