loft cables over joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am currently boarding out mt loft space and having ripped up the old floor boards and exposed into the eve's there is a spiders web of cabling. what's the best way to tidy this up? i'm not a sparky at all so wondered if i could just extend the cable lengths using Scotchblocks so they were all long enough to bunch together and clip to the sides of the joists as one mass rather than having to "sister" the joists to give clearance over the cabling as the headroom is not that good as it is

Sponsored Links
all the cables are running over the top of the joists BTW so i have to find someway of routing them so i can lay the boards.

Don't notch joists in roof spaces its not a great idea unless you are 100% certain of how your roof works..
You would be better off cross battening the ceiling joists with new timber and raising the level of the boarding.. you can also add extra insulation between the new joists keep you cozy in the winter..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back