Loft conversion/Cut Purlin

No probs.

Sometimes you will get something like this, where the rafters extend down to meet extended joists. Not on this one though, that's a full seat on the rafters. I'd like to see what's on the other side of that 9in wall. Something to brace it I hope, before he cuts a window in the opposite side.

RMIM you should advise your mate to get it checked right away.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies - I will try to read them carefully and reply with any questions I have soon.

In the mean time here are more pics. I will be going over to his house tomorrow to see what else has been done.

Take a look at the ceilings below to see if they are lath and plaster, if they are, has he put in any chicken wire.

Sponsored Links
oh dear lord!

is that chipboard?

nooooooooooooooo. :eek: :evil:

Nicely laid, joints over support :rolleyes:

Maybe we are taking the (mis-)term 'loft conversion' too seriously. He may well have just got the guy in to make the space more usable for storage etc. and possibly for a sensible rate for a few days work.

Still a balls up though :mrgreen:

I think the redid the floor. They did not double up the joists, but laid new ones over the top of the old ones at right angles, I think.

It would help if you explained exactly what the builder has been commissioned to do and if this is a proper conversion going through the required approvals, or if your mate has just asked for a bargain basement job and is getting what he has asked for.

It's easy to nit-pick pictures, but I'd like to know the background.

The purlin looks like a 5"x3"s. The rafters also look like 5"x3"s.
My home has 9"x3" purlins and 5" x 2" rafters. Big difference.
Bottom line is that the purlin in this case is adding very little extra strength to the roof !.
Ans = remove it.
And removing it will have no detrimental effects on the overall soundness of the structure.

I really don't understand the point of those vertical studs. and fitted with what look like M8's, if they're even that!

I think the redid the floor. They did not double up the joists, but laid new ones over the top of the old ones at right angles, I think.

I've just finished a loft conversion where half the loft had already been done. That had the new joists running opposite to the existing ceiling joists. It was about 12yrs old and it had sagged like you wouldn't believe. When you put a 6ft level on the ceiling, at one end you could fit your hand between the level and the ceiling. This ceiling had been patched over and over, so it looks like it started sagging soon after it was done.

The new joists should be separate from the old. The only reason they could have done it the way they have on your mate's place, is if the originals were big enough and they wanted to raise the floor level, maybe to make the stairs fit or something. But why cut the height in a loft, you want as much as you can.

I really don't understand the point of those vertical studs. and fitted with what look like M8's, if they're even that!

They are M10.
And yes, what is the point? They are too close to the wall to be of any use I think. If they were attached closer to the middle the might have stopped the rafters sagging??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back