Loft conversion floor over 5m span and roof load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to construct a timber floor that spans 5m between steels and takes some of the roof loading?

I know that I will need to pay an SE for a proper calc, but would like to check out the viability of loft floor construction with the technical experts here before I get that far. The loft conversion contractors I have had in seem to be saying contradictory things, and I want to avoid nasty surprises later down the road.

The house is 6m x 7.6m (internally to outer walls) semi with traditional rafter/purlin roof of 2"x4" rafters. But, even though there are some support struts from the purlin down onto them, none of the internal walls are truly load bearing, despite being brick they don't line up with the walls below. The obvious design is to run two steels across the 6m width and construct the floor off that. There are no lintels to worry about, however the chimney stacks on the party wall are 5m apart at joist level and both in use, hence avoiding these the clear span between steels will be 5m.

Looking at the Trada tables, 5m clear span under domestic loadings seems towards the limit of what you can do with timber but OK. The rafter spans, possibly doubled up with thicker sister rafters, will need supporting by queen posts which form the stud walls of the room. However positioning these supporting stud walls immediately above the steels results in both very limited storage space behind and useless low walls that no furniture will fit. It would be more useful for us to make the room smaller (say 4m not 5m), by constructing the supporting stud walls on the floor instead. But is this structurally possible?

Can be make use of our "not quite" load bearing wall like the original roof does? Would we need to put some more steel in there instead? I am worried that 5m spams of timber just won't take the extra roof loading. Any suggestions on best ways to approach this design very welcome.

Sponsored Links
Dont try to do this yourself or rely on others from this forum for such specific engineering advice!!

The best advice anyone can give you, is to talk it through with a structural engineer. The parameters of your design preclude the ability of anyone to give a realistic assessement of how best to proceed without seeing project specific information.

Using an engineer, you gain confidence in the design plus his profesional indemnity insurance policy if he gets it wrong!

If you get it wrong, its at least double to rectify and could have an impact on the value of your house.

There is also a party wall involved so the Party Wall Etc Act will be applicable. Your neighbours will undoubtedly want to see evidence of design diligance, so the need to have a SE on board early is vital.

Good luck!

Yes Floor2do, as I said before, I will have a structural engineer certify any work before it is done.

But I want to know what size of room/storage I can reasonably expect before I commit to a loft contractor and get these calcs done formally as part of the package. There is lots of good advice on this forum, and I am interested in what that those with practical experience have to say. Can a timber floor spanning 5m be made strong enough to also support the rafters?

I have seen pictures of lofts with the stud walls that support the rafters built on the floor beams rather than on top of the steels, but is that structurally viable when the floor has a 5m span.

Your loft conversion sounds pretty standard TBH and nothing to get too stressed about (at this stage anyway, wait till its on site!) (most difficulties in loftys come from inadequate existing headroom and getting a new compliant staircase in) any decent SE will eat such a design no problem. Once you start spanning over 5m (which is entirely possible in timber BTW) it can be more economical to look for alternative/additional solutions such as an additional steel beam or whatever as the joists can start getting quite deep in section. As mentioned your SE will spec your steels and any other structural elements including the dwarf walls to support the purlins, the joists and if necessary the ridge beam etc.

Sponsored Links
Yes you may be able to use timber to span 5m but then the doubling up of joists or depth can intrude into the useable space.

A SE will give a swift overview of your design, no problem (I am not an engineer by the way!). Try not to use one as part of a package from a "loft company". If you do, ask yourself who are they working for. The loft company or you?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back