Loft Conversion v Loft room ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A lady that I know is paying about £18k to have a room built in her loft.

The builder has obtained no building reg approvals and a far as I can see no one is inspecting his work.

Now the loft is traditional construction with 100 x 50 rafters. He has added timbers across these of the size sold for internal studding ( about 45 x 65 ).

Now as far as I can see this floor construction in no way meets building regulations for a habitable room. Its one large room with a shower, basin and toilet up there!

My understanding is that you can create a non habitable room in the loft for storage or possible kids play room but that what he is doing is totally incorrect.

So I would appreciate any comments on her position and what effect it might have if she sold the property.

Thanks

Tony

Sponsored Links
The loft rom will not legally be able to be sold as a bedroom when she sells. And even if the loft room is inadvertently marketed as a bedroom when she comes to sell and the solicitor asks for proof of Building Control Approval the buyer may walk away.

Her house insurance is likely to be invalid too.

Apart from it potentially being a death trap of course.

It’s really when a permanent stair is added that Building Control get twitchy, it doesn’t matter what the owner says they will use the space for.

I am expecting that a permanent staircase is going to be fitted.

Seems that you totally agree with my concerns!

Any other views?

Tony

You can't create any room for any purpose in a loft without building control approval. Stairs or not.

Sponsored Links
That's what I rather thought!

Are you the Woody from the other place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back