Loft insualtion problems HELP NEEDED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just wondering if someone can help. I had insulation and cavity wall put in two years ago and this year have had alot of condensation. I have called the company who carried out the work and they have said the condensation is nothing to do with the insulation but is due to three factors
1)there is no partition wall between the neighbours causing heat to escape into our loft.
2} the extractor is extracting into the loft, builders cow boy job
3} there is a pipe coming out of the chimney flute, no idea why its there or what use.

My argument with the company is these factors where there before they carried out their work and their job was to check the conditions before the insulation was laid.

The companying are saying the insulation in the loft is not adding to the condensation out it is not their problem.

Any advice and information is most welcome!
Have I got a good case to take this further?

Sponsored Links
so they did their work 2 years ago and this year is a problem - was there a problem in the intervening year ( winter) I would say you haven`t got a case- let`s see what other opinions are ;)

they are correct you have asked for insulation they have insulated to standard[i assume]

you are pouring warm moist air into the loft where it shouldnt be

do not use the fan
check the what the lining is connected to
have you got airflow accross the loft from the eaves or roof vents

Sponsored Links
The year before this we were out of the country as my daughter has severe asthma so the heating was not in use.

This year we have had the heating on more than usual down to her medical condition.

Please note the Bathroom fan is not being used. It has never been used since installing it.

Not sure if I am reading this right.
Are you experiencing condensation in the loft or in the house (living space).

If, as you say, the house was unheated/unoccupied for the last year, the structure of the building would have got damp and un-aired, now adding people and turning the heat on will now be causing very high air moisture content, which has to escape somewhere. More ventilation is the only answer, despite the resultant loss of heat to the outside.

The bathroom fan needs to be connected to the outside and made use of every time bath/shower used, preferably on a extended timer, that would be a great start/help.

If condensation in the loft, the insulation installers usually mention the need for vent tiles, which they normally charge extra for. Perhaps you could slip some in yourself from inside the roof space. Also, make sure they have not pushed insulation right into the eaves, thereby blocking the air flow from the soffit vents (if you have got them).

One other thing, it would be a good idea to find out the requirement to make a division between your house and your neighbour in the roof space. I thought it had to be fire rated, in order to stop the spread of fire within the loft. Again, I thought this was required for both mortgage and house insurance conditions. :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back