Loft ridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, please excuse the silly username, made in jest!

Im currently undertaking a loft conversion at my home, its a 1930s mid terrace, im putting a large rear dormer in.

Most of the steels are in now, two 5.6m 203x203x52 UCs span from party wall to party wall. I have the floor minus the trimming in and today appeared to be a good day to get the ridge beam in.

The engineer specced a 152x152x37 sat at one end in the party wall and at the other end bolted to a 100x100c24 post via a 100x100x8 cleat. This post is to sit the ridge off of the two flues of the chimney coming up from downstairs. This post bears down on a load bearing wall .

As I broke into the party wall I discovered that it was only 1 skin thick, where it backs onto the neighbours flue. (I had no problem with the 203s it was double skin and in good condition)

From what I am aware, putting a ridge beam into this would be a big no no, so thats out the question, what other options do I have? I guess I could span another steel from one 203 to another 203 , however there is no loadbearing wall this side as it is above the stairs below and the steel would need to be approx 6.7m long.

Is this a viable option? I can see that if it was it would look weird when the stairs get built from the first floor to the loft with a large boxed in section along a certain part of the wall ? I know I will need to speak to my engineer, but its playing merry hell with my mind and I was wondering if anyone had any possible solutions until I hear back from him?

Smiles,

(Opps I posted in the wrong sub forum to start with ! )

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back