Raising Roof for Loft Conversion: Best cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 1970s bungalow with 2x4 ceiling joists and max headroom of 6'6 to the ridge beam. Loft is currently floored with T&G chipboard panels. No issues at present as the floored area sits over the central corridor of the house so the span is 1-2m.

The idea would be to have a full flat roof dormer (14m long) along the rear of the house and raise the ridge height of the house to allow 7-8' ceilings. Houses further along the road have done this with 3-4 bedrooms upstairs. They have a structural ridge beam (steel I beam) sitting on the gable end walls with the roof purlin walls built up to form bedroom walls and to support along the span.

At what point is it more cost effective to have a completely new trussed roof put onto the house? Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Best get quotes for both options , ready made trussed roof timbers are cheaper to produce as it uses smaller timbers. It can be quicker option but not an option if you don’t want to move out while works are in progress.

What does a re-roof look like? Is it a case of scaffold up, tiles off, roof timbers off then crane in the new trusses? Guessing that it's nearly impossible to keep the house watertight? Or is there a method for re-roofing which keeps water out of the house whilst there's no tiles on?

Sponsored Links
Either do it quickly during dry spell or ad a tin roof ( expensive).Pretty watertight once felts on.
Can be done without crane with enough bodies, did my garage roof (7mx5m) with just two of us as each truss is quite light weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back