Loft Roof Space Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I am after some advice on our loft space...

I live in a mid terraced house with loft space which is currently unused. I have poked my head up there with a view of getting someone in to board it out but have noticed that slap bang in the middle of the space are these 2 diagonal beams. they seem to sit against the beams which run along the roof then down diagonally into the centre of the space, which not only would make walking around there a nightmare but kind of scuppers boarding it really.

I have looked at the beams which run along the ceiling and they are one complete beam which runs from one wall to the other bedded into either side.

I appreciate it can be quite hard to visualise, I have tried to do a bit of a drawing, but failed at art miserably.

Basically I am wondering if these struts are going to be supporting the roof or are they just getting in the way..? Please dont panic, I'm not under any circumstances going to be taking anything off the roof without a professional looking at it first, but I just wanted to ask the general question.

For those that can make out the drawing, the orange parts are the bits I'm on about, its kind of a side profile drawing..

Thanks in advance..

Dougie..

Sponsored Links
Looks like you will have to strengthen your roof some other way if you want to take those beans out.

darn.... what methods are there that can be used to strengthen a mid terraced roof to keep the space open then..? any suggestions

I just can't for the life of me understand the tirade of threads where people want to use their loft for some extra storage and find it such a bind to have to clamber over a few struts or whatever. Surely 99% of the time you'll stick stuff up there and not be up there again for a couple of months or whatever?

Sponsored Links
darn.... what methods are there that can be used to strengthen a mid terraced roof to keep the space open then..? any suggestions
Depends what you have at each end of the loft. It might be possible to install stronger purlins. Simplest solution is to get someone round to give you advice, together with a ballpark figure of cost (bear in mind that the floor joists may well need strengthening if you intend to turn this into a walking area.
I just can't for the life of me understand the tirade of threads where people want to use their loft for some extra storage and find it such a bind to have to clamber over a few struts or whatever. Surely 99% of the time you'll stick stuff up there and not be up there again for a couple of months or whatever?
Not really any of your business is it :rolleyes:

I am assuming its a slated roof what size are your purlins, also one each side or two.

Hi there

I am after some advice on our loft space...

I live in a mid terraced house with loft space which is currently unused. I have poked my head up there with a view of getting someone in to board it out but have noticed that slap bang in the middle of the space are these 2 diagonal beams. they seem to sit against the beams which run along the roof then down diagonally into the centre of the space, which not only would make walking around there a nightmare but kind of scuppers boarding it really.

I have looked at the beams which run along the ceiling and they are one complete beam which runs from one wall to the other bedded into either side.

I appreciate it can be quite hard to visualise, I have tried to do a bit of a drawing, but failed at art miserably.

Basically I am wondering if these struts are going to be supporting the roof or are they just getting in the way..? Please dont panic, I'm not under any circumstances going to be taking anything off the roof without a professional looking at it first, but I just wanted to ask the general question.

For those that can make out the drawing, the orange parts are the bits I'm on about, its kind of a side profile drawing..

Thanks in advance..

Dougie..

Basically the orange timbers are supporting the beams which span your full roof. The only way to remove them is to fit new sized up purlins which will support your roof independantly OR finding a way to support the existing purlins. Glulam or steel will more than probably be needed.

Not really any of your business is it :rolleyes:
Is the OP or any of the other muppets who post these kind of threads ever actually gonna throw a couple of grand at it and do it Troll Boy?

To everyone that has offered advice so far, thankyou.. There are 2 purlins either side and a slate roof.. I have had a general builder in who was open to say he wasn't a roofer and so wouldn't do the work but did wonder if cross beams across the roof would the suitable support.. I don't know though..

To freddymercurystwin.. Seriously, if you'd read my post with any ounce of interest rather than having the one intention of bad mouthing and dissing everything and everyone that provides a contribution you would have seen that I was asking for general advice before getting someone in.... Stop flooding posts with nonsense back biting and bitching. This is a DIY forum where people ask for advice. I apologise if this questions has been asked by other people before but generally that's what people do on forums, they ask questions...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back