Log Splitting Maul

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of buying a Roughneck 6lb Log splitting maul from Toolstation, item code 14628, but then I noticed it's a fibreglass handle. The last logs I split I borrowed a maul with a wooden handle, possibly Hickory handle and it did the job. Unfortunately I can't remember what make it was.

Are fibreglass handles any good, does the head remain glued on or will it fail in a couple of years time whereas with a traditional wooden handle you can fix or replace it if it comes off.

If going with wooden handle, is Hickory the way to go, as some mauls don't state what wood the handle is.

Finally, I have seen some videos where people strike the back of the maul with a lump hammer when splitting a large tree round to drive it through. Is this safe, metal-to-metal, I assume it is as the back of mauls appear to be shaped for hitting ?

Sponsored Links
The maul mentioned above is a diy tool made for occasional use,the head will in time work loose on both wood & fibreglass handles and both can be re tightened the latter by 2 part epoxy resin adhesive.

More professional tools are available from the likes of Stihl & Husqvarna and many more,they will cost a lot more as well.

Using a club hammer on the maul is acceptable but i would choose professional tool's both hammer&maul to do that,often the metal on the cheaper tools is recycled metal from the far east,china and no long term quality tests are available although Happy to be corrected.

so it looks like quality comes with a cost. Good luck,

Well I went ahead and bought the 8 lb version of the Roughneck today and it looks fine to me. For my needs I rekon it should be OK. I've split a couple of rounds of wood as a test but the wood is newly cut, like a week ago, so its soaking wet inside.

Should I leave it for a few months to dry out before splitting - will that make it easier splitting being dry - or split it now when its newly felled ?
thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back