Long lasting balustrade for raised terrace area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm making a raised area as part of a garden redesign.

The raised area is - as per usual - to avoid taking rubble etc off site.

It will be up to 2ft above the main garden in a sunny corner, size approx 4mx6m, made from rubble and earth from the new gravel car-standing dig-out, MOT gravel to level, then a finish of gravel or perhaps pavers.

The area will be retained with a small dry stone wall, using material from the demolished front garden wall.

But I'm after something to form a balustrade to go atop, or behind, the wall to divide the area off.

The rub is that I want it to last 25-30 years not 10, and be tenant-proof, as it will be rented out and I don't want to have to do it again.

My best current option seems to be 3" concrete posts set properly in the ground first, then a metal decking type fencing with a decking handrail, or just to call it a terrace and have no handrail at all.

I may end up replacing the rail, but the posts need to last.

I'd welcome any suggestions as to better ways to do it.

Rgds

Ferdinand

Sponsored Links
I would think it would be cheaper to remove from site than the expense and work involved in doing a raised deck with dry stone walls and handrail.

Don't forget the planning permission if it overlooks the neighbours and they are minded to complain.

I would think it would be cheaper to remove from site than the expense and work involved in doing a raised deck with dry stone walls and handrail.

Don't forget the planning permission if it overlooks the neighbours and they are minded to complain.

Thanks for the note, F.

Removal from site is problematic for several reasons in addition to cost, not the least of which is that it is within 25m of traffic lights at a junction which would put a question-mark over a skip license, and if I put the skip on the front garden it will be sitting on some of the stuff that needs to go into it so I'll be into a double shuffle or persuading neighbours to put my skip on their drive and load it over the wall.

There shouldn't be neighbour issues as it is all quite low fences and people all talk to each other, and nearly all have been there for 20 years+. Fortunately no one has sitting areas back to back over any fences.

If there are issues I can trellis or equivalent quite easily to provide privacy from the sitting area while still allowing over wall conversations when needed, and the ones who are closest to the raised area have just had their garden much improved by my removal of the 8ft Leylandii hedge which was on the boundary, leaving a 3ft stone wall which allows sun through now.

Ferdinand

Sponsored Links
I'll aim to update this thread as it goes through.

For my posts I've decided to use 4ft concrete fence repair posts, designed for bolting to the bottom of a rotted wooden post, and I can then bolt short 'decking type' posts to the provided holes to mount the balustrade.

Then if the timber bits needs replacing after a decade or so, I can do that without any disturbance needed to the concrete posts set in the ground, or even to the bed itself if the nuts face outwards.

I'll need very long lasting bolts, though :).

Wickes have one here: http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/542503, but my friendly neighbourhood fence post manufacturing emporium is buying a couple of moulds to make some for me, so I'll get a better product (going by their normal posts) for about a third less.

Ferdinand

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back