Long term printer cartridge storage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, has anyone out there any ideas on the storage of ink cartridges long term? I've just bought some new cartridges at a bargain "not to be missed" price and would like some first hand advice on storage, I've done my homework and read various advice on the subject but wondered if anyone has had genuine first hand experience on the subject?

Your help would be much appreciated, Tony.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid that I can't help, other than to say that I've had some Epson cartridges for several months and they seem to work well.

On thing I have noticed, though, is that the sealed cartridges don't seem to have any sort of 'use by' or 'best before' dates. Why not ask the manufacturer what the shelf life is?

Thanks for your reply, the cartridges I am intending to store are also Epson and as you pointed out they do seem to last a while but I was hoping I could store my bargain buy carts for maybe 2-3 years (I was thinking of using the loft where it is very cool) as for the makers, going on past experience they will advise you to adhere to the sell by dates, which there are non as these are non branded and Epson won't have any cotter with such inks.

In the past I was told to store in a cool place and seal each ink in a separate sealable plastic bag (Ziploc type) but again how long they will actually last (a rough guide would be fine) no one seems to know,

Any thoughts? Regards, Tony.

Mine appear to be genuine Epson cartridges (or, if not, very convincing copies) but do not have any expiration dates on the packaging. They are, though, in hermetically sealed packets and have always performed well. I buy mine from Amazon and are described as genuine Epson products.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, I think I'm going to take a chance on the "cool room poly bag arrangement" as because they were so cheap I haven't got a lot to lose, its just that being a really old Epson Stylus Photo 700ex (its old, slow and noisy) but suits my needs for "everyday" text printing but obviously the day will come when the supply of inks will eventually dry up (if you pardon the pun),

But Thank-You for your opinions, they are appreciated , Regards, Tony.

PS have you ever had any dealings with trying to get rid of Adchoices? I've tried most things but to no avail, obviously it came with something I've downloaded but now its even on my new laptop and its a b****y nuisance?

Adchoices is nothing you've downloaded, it's space for an advert of the site. It's a google thing. The choice you get is an advert that 'they' think is relevent, or an advert that is not relevent.

Nozzle

But how do I get rid of? its really slowing things down, it appears its not the actual advert that takes up the time its the loading/waiting time of the said advert to appear,

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Regards, Tony.

Storing ink, I have Canon ink, put a new one in last week, it was at least 5 years old. Worked ok.
They are all kept in a plastic bag, in the cool.

But how do I get rid of? its really slowing things down, it appears its not the actual advert that takes up the time its the loading/waiting time of the said advert to appear,

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Regards, Tony.
Ad Block Pro.

Thanks for that, I think I'm going to take a chance on the "cool room poly bag arrangement" as because they were so cheap I haven't got a lot to lose, its just that being a really old Epson Stylus Photo 700ex (its old, slow and noisy) but suits my needs for "everyday" text printing but obviously the day will come when the supply of inks will eventually dry up (if you pardon the pun),
I have an old Epson Photo EX that will handle up to A3 size, and that still works perfectly - well, nearly: it sometimes doesn't like card!

I don't know about Epsom , but HP printers regect cartridges that have expired dates.

So do most modern inkjets and, for that matter, they reject compatible cartridges. Thankfully older ones, like mine, do not.

Thank-You all, that's the way I'm going, cool place & plastic sealable bag, thanks to all you others, its nice to know I'm not the only one running an age old printer, I just hope my new gift of a Canon 2050 Maxify gives me some good service, I've just bought some non branded ink's for it so I'll report back when fitted, the company I bought them off have 100% feedback (some really nice comment's and praises) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed,

Again thanks all, Regards, Tony.

Thank-You all, that's the way I'm going, cool place & plastic sealable bag, thanks to all you others, its nice to know I'm not the only one running an age old printer, I just hope my new gift of a Canon 2050 Maxify gives me some good service, I've just bought some non branded ink's for it so I'll report back when fitted, the company I bought them off have 100% feedback (some really nice comment's and praises) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed,

Again thanks all, Regards, Tony.
If it's a new printer, did you check to see whether it accepts non-chipped non-branded cartridges?

In a word NO, I really didn't realise that this was possible, it was a Christmas gift from my daughters (to go along with the new laptop they bought me in Sept for my 60th birthday) the new Canon came with inks and my first thought was to buy some "back-up inks" and I've always used compatible inks in my old Epson so never really gave it any thought. the new printer came with very basic instructions and I can't remember any mention of non branded inks, where would I obtain this sort of info?

As I said before the supplier has 100% feedback with glowing reports and as he sells bang up to date inks for many types of new printers I never even considered there may be a problem.

Having just checked in the Canons basic instructions I still cannot see any mention of non branded inks being used and am about to enquire with the ink supplier if I may well have any probs, meanwhile any advice would be appreciated,

Regards, Tony.

PS according to Canon the inks cannot be changed until the chip tells me they are empty? obviously I'm really behind the times regarding tech spec.

Sponsored Links
Back