Looking for inventive ideas on shower cubicle leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have one of those cheap plastic / fibreglass shower trays that flexes. And there's a gap between the tiled shower walls and the shower tray filled with silicone. I've had it "fixed" professionally a few times, and it lasts for a year or so but the leaks always come back. I realise the correct solution is to have it all ripped out and done properly, but that's going to cost thousands, which I haven't got.

At the moment, I'm managing with a thick polythene sheet duct taped around the walls and overhanging into the bottom of the shower tray. This works fine, but need re-doing every so often. So, I'm just looking for some ideas, no matter how crazy, for something a little more permanent. I don't care how it looks. Surely, there must be some kind of "liquid rubber" type product that I could just paint on? I know such products exist for use before tiling, so is there nothing that could be used after tiling?

Many thanks for reading, and any suggestions would be most welcome, no matter how crazy. As I say, I don't care how it looks.

Sponsored Links
[Trimlux Reg 25] in conjunction with silicone will flex with shower tray movement to keep a seal. It can be applied either behind tiles as they are being installed, or on the outside after tiles have been applied to the wall.

shooey, Hi.

In the past I have successfully "found" hairline cracks in plastic baths, and Shower trays.

Using a "small" powerful torch hold the torch against the plastic and rotate the torch.

Any even very small "cracks" and minor holes will be easy to spot because of the bright light shining across the surface of the plastic.

Cracks in my opinion can disappear under general lighting conditions in a bathroom / Shower room but, using a torch, remember it has to be a "powerful one" can show up cracks and very, very small holes caused by dropping a bottle of [whatever]

id try and pack up the shower tray underneath with some wood wedges etc in strategic places as its probably the movement causing the problem

Sponsored Links
OK you said crazy ideas were welcome so here goes.
Silicone angle plastic (the stuff they sell in the racks with beading etc at B&Q) to the wall to form an L shape ledge, let it set then place a length on the other way with silicone to create a Z shape overhanging the tray edge. The tray can flex under the overhang but the water should drip cleanly into the tray.

Might be even better if possible to over lap the top peice onto the bottom one to avoid a channel at the edge. over lap Z section at the corners with lots of silicone.

Well you did say crazy :D :D

PS don't tell anyone that sees it that it was my idea! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back