Lost keys to backdoor upvc.Can I change locks myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I was just wondering if it is possible to change my own lock even if I have lost the keys? Or is it a job for locksmith?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
u need the key to move the bit that moves into the right position to extract the lock once you have removed the retaining screw i'm afraid

Just changed 3 locks yesterday myself see www.abs-secure.co.uk and select the video.

Now as has been said you do need the key to unlock the door first I assume it is locked.

Depending on the quality of the lock and if it is the bog standard type you may be able to " bump " it open to find out how google bumping locks.

You need a key that is simillar to the lost one that will go in you put pressure on it as if to unlock and hit the key with a hammer and continue untill it opens.

Then replace with a high quality replacment so it cannot be bumped.

You may be covered on your house insurance for lost keys so check, then they will send a locksmith along, but make sure he replaces the lock with a anti bump and snap type.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back