Lost pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I seem to have real low pressure in my kitchen tap. *hot/cold makes no difference).

This seems to be a recent thing since having a new tap fitted. All pressure in other taps around the house seem fine.

I get quite fed up trying to fill the kettle :(

Is it the tap ?

Sponsored Links
Is there a means of local isolation for this tap? If so ensure it is fully open.

i dont think so - at least there wasnt before so Ill have to have a good look.

Cheers

Are the taps around the rest of the house supplied from the mains or do you have a cold water tank in the loft that supplies them?

Sponsored Links
Are the taps around the rest of the house supplied from the mains or do you have a cold water tank in the loft that supplies them?

Hi

No there is no water tank in the house. The water comes straight from the mains. There is no 'stopcock' in the kitchen.

The only 'stopcock' in the house is under the bath and this is fully open but then wound back a tiny bit (advised to do this in case it ever ceased).

Pressure from hot and cold taps for the bathroom sink is great. The hot water for the bath is bearable (its not a mixer tap) and the new mixer tap fitted in the kitchen seems tediously slow.

:?: clueless

Hot water is provided by means of the Worcester gas combi boiler in the attick.

One concern...
Could there be a leek ? I am aware of a new pipe that was fitted under concrete floor when the kitchen was replumbed. I havnt noticed anything though and the pressure in the new tap has been the same since it was fitted. (The pressure in the kitchen taps used to be pretty good before the new one was fitted).

No, can't see it as being a leak since this would probably affect the taps throughout the house.

Is always possible that you have a rogue tap. How confident are you at DIY plumbing???

No, can't see it as being a leak since this would probably affect the taps throughout the house.

Is always possible that you have a rogue tap. How confident are you at DIY plumbing???

No chance :eek:

I fitted a metal mesh kind of pipe under the bathroom sink because the old one split but that's it.

I'm going to ask my plumber - one reason why I havnt already is because hes a completey moody and arogant chap and never gets back to me when I call. You may ask why then do I choose this plumber...

Because his company are most familiar with the plumbing in the house since they fitted the gas c heating - the combi boiler etc...

Also - (he does a nice job - all his pipe work is neat and tidy aswell)

I dont really want to be shelling out more money though for him to come check it. Maybe he is obliged to check it out since he only did it 1 month ago ?

SOLVED

The tap had some kind of water softener filter built into the end of it (where the water flows from the end of the tap)

The tiny filter unscrews from the end of the tap and I could see that it was full of lime scale (even though the tap is only 2 months old).

Unscrewed and left in a descaler solution for 30 mins then just tapped it a few times with an old tooth brush.

Excellent

Good job the plumber never phoned me back anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back