Loud creaking UPVC door hinge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My back UPVC door has suddenly developed a loud creaking, grinding noise on the lowest hinge when it is being opened and closed.

I have tried WD40 and that made no different what so ever.

Has anybody have any ideas. Could the hinge be broken or does it need adjusting?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you post some pics? Far too many possibilities to just guess at

Thank you for a response.

I will take some photos tonight after work. I examined the hinge last night further and I cannot see any damage to it. The door has 4 hinges in total, the the hinge seems simple, it has 2 plastic covers to cover the top part and bottom part, I removed these to reveal the metal. The hinge connects to door by 2 bolts. I tried further lubricating right down the sides of where the hinge turns but it didn't make any difference.

The noise is louder the slower you open the door. It reminds me of a loud version of when you over tighten with an Allen key.

Pics to follow.

Thank you for trying to help.

There are hundreds of types and makes of hinges so 1st job is to work out which ones you have. Thats where the pics comes in.

Sponsored Links
Thats quite an old style hinge that Im not overly familiar with. Hopefully someone else will come along who knows them better.

Possibly there is a washer between the top and bottom parts that has worn away, Can you see a washer in the other hinges that is not visable in the bottom one?

One thing to try would be silicone spray or graphite spray rather than WD40.

Hi, did you resolve this? I seem to have the same hinges but found no answers!

Very similar to a SFS estetic hinge, lift the door up slightly and smear some grease on the hinge pins

Thanks for reply, I've bought a SFS spanner in the hopes an adjustment makes a difference. I've tried WD40 with no success. Definitely more of a loud creak, than a squeak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back