loud noise from BIASI riva advance he

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Corgi installer fitted a BIASI Riva advance m110.32sm/c boiler with new radiators and flushed system, all done in one go last year.

Everything works ok, pressure is around 1.5 bar, temp around 60C when heating on, but the problem is a loud vibration noise form inside the boiler every 5minutes or so, this ONLY happens when the central heating is switched on, when its off there is no noise.

The loud vibrating noise stays on for around 30 seconds before going, then no noise, then 5-10 minutes later the noise back.

Bizarrely when the noise occurs, if i turn on the hot water tap for a few seconds, the noise goes away for a few minutes.

Some days its worse that others, but generally i find the colder the temperature the more frequent the noise.

all the radiators have thermostatic valves fitted, except the bathroom, which has a towel rail with no valve.

biasi engineer came out and typically no noise that day.

Any ideas please

Sponsored Links
You are running the risk of a chargeable visit if you ask for a warrantee visit.

If its a foghorn noise which is about all it can be then the fault is caused because the installer has not set up the boiler properly with a flue gas analyser. I expect that your installer does not even own one as they cost nearly £1000.

The fault is actually caused because the gas/air mixture is too weak which is the condition when the boiler has been heating the rads for a few minutes and the boiler reduces its output power.

It also implies the installer has not range rated your boiler for your heating load. Although its rather fiddly to do it all the adjustments are on the control panel so it could be done by a clever DIYer who can follow the instructions. It would improve the performance and economy if the power output was reduced to about 12 kW ( unless you live in a VERY large house ).

Tony

an update on this, the noise has stopped completly now, strange boiler this one

Sponsored Links
The ambient temperature may be having an effect.

To obtains the second year of the warrantee the boiler should be serviced at the end of the first year and the engineers details addded to the service record opposite the Benchmark certificate ( which should have been completed by the installer ).

Tony

hi, yes it was serviced at end of year 1, with printout of gases etc, and service book updated.

Well that sounds good.

Unfortunately without knowing what the boiler operating conditions were its not possible to make much of an intrepretation. Hpowever could you see whats shown for the %age of CO² ?

Tony

hi normally when an analyser reading is taken some engineers will only take a reading at high output and not also at minimum, the foghorn noise is resonance from the burner when the min gas mixture is set too low .the premixed gas and air is flowing slower than the burn rate .definatly one for a professional to look at.

Well that sounds good.

Unfortunately without knowing what the boiler operating conditions were its not possible to make much of an intrepretation. Hpowever could you see whats shown for the %age of CO² ?

Tony

here is what the service engineer wrIte at the service- clearly he was not a big fan of black ink- as the results are very light, but i think this are the results:

drained off central heating system, put on 2 new drainoff valves,
add nosie reducer

combustion
02 4.3%
CO2 9.4%
CO PPM 144
FLUE 66.8 C
INLT 18.5C
NETT 50 OR 60 (CANT SEE PROPERLY)

EFF 97.8
LOSSES 2.2
XAIR 25.9%
CO/CO2 0.0015
PRS MBAR 0.01[/u]

hi normally when an analyser reading is taken some engineers will only take a reading at high output and not also at minimum, the foghorn noise is resonance from the burner when the min gas mixture is set too low .the premixed gas and air is flowing slower than the burn rate .definatly one for a professional to look at.

On that model the CO² should be adjusted at minimum which is the most sensitive setting point. Then just "checked" at the maximum at which point it usually rises.

That figure of 9.4% does not give any immediate cause for concern but we dont know if it was taken at maximum or minimum power.

Sometimes customers confuse noise from closing TRVs with a noise produced inside a boiler.

Tony

Hi, did you ever get this issue fixed? I am having the same issue.

Hi the noise did go away, I cant remember exactly what I did, all I remember was I reset the boiler, i.e. switch off then switch on and put the central heating and hot water to the desires temperatures as advised on the plastic flap. Sorry cant be more help

Now I have the problem whereby the central heating does not always work, sometime ok sometime not, all I can occasionally hear is a clicking noise inside the boiler. More repairs.

Basically its a piece of junk needs something repairing every year (mainly when its freezing cold) and I get the impression parts are designed to fail intentionally so repairs are also required. Worst thing is the boiler is not even has a hard life, only three of use in the house.

Nice boiler, one of the most reliable ever made.

Of course that's only when its installed on a totally clean system!

Tony

Nice boiler, one of the most reliable ever made.

Of course that's only when its installed on a totally clean system!

Tony

Nice boiler, I would be happy to have one at home!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back