Low cost downlight full installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

I’m looking to install down light throughout my whole house.

I’m assuming this.

Downstairs hall = = 3 lights
Lounge = 4/5 lights
Dinning room = 4 lights
Kitchen is about 16*9, I’m guess about 8.
Bedroom 1 = 6
Bedroom 2 = 4
Bedroom 3 = 4
Bathroom = 3
Upstairs hall = 3

All in all, about 40 lights. The questions I have.

40 lights is quite a few lights, I’m looking for a solution for an economical solution. I would like low energy lights but they look prohibitively expensive. Ie something like

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GUFRD11C.html

I’m assuming that as it’s fire rated I won’t have to buy a firehood, but will still need some sort of cover for heat vent?

Is there a low cost alternative for this installation?

Much appreciated

CoXen

Sponsored Links
40 x 50W downlights is 2kW of lighting, compared to around 900W, so this is an uneconomic proposal in the first place.

Low energy downlights, such as compact fluorescents are, as you've found, much more expensive. Also they are not well-liked for either performance or appearance.

Either way - filament lamps or fluorescent - it is nigh-on certain you will either degrade the thermal performance of your home, or introduce a fire hazard... or both.

What you really want - if you insist on committing ovine style-suicide - is LED downlights. But you're really not going to like the cost of those.

Sponsored Links
You still need a suitable air gap around any insulation, otherwise the maps will over heat and pop or something else will over heat and burn.

You can't do the work DIY in the kitchen or bathroom, Part P applies.

JC94020A.JPG

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/JC94021.html

You do understand that 2kw hour = 30p cost, so 4 hours a day amounts to over £500 a year just on lights.

If you have family, say 2+2 I'd factor in £1400 a year just on electric.

Can you not slim back your expectations and consider alternatives ?

If you really must, have you thought about zone / multi switch lighting so on some areas with in a room need to be on?

Thank you chris,

regarding the electricty bill, I must admit I've used standard energy saving bulbs for years and have been a big fan, I've never had downlights before but really fancy them. I appreciate Dingbats comment of "ovine style-suicide". I think zoning and dimmer switches maybe the best comprimise.

Can you recommend other alternatives.

Much appreciated in advance.

Coxen

Check out BAS- Ban all sheds posts, with downlights added in on the search engine of DIYnot.

It's easier than having to rattle off several A4 pages of thoughts and considerations.......

When you have researched the alternatives, and various opinions post back some more specific questions ;)

My 2p:

Sounds like a standard two-storey house, in which case you dont need fire rated fittings at all.

There is no economic solution to lighting an entire house with little spotlights!

When downlights go out of fashion, or you realise they dont create particularly pleasant lighting, or you get bored of replacing bulbs, you may rue the day* you made 40-50 holes in your ceilings!

:)

* well probably more like weeks to wire that lot up.

From my last 30 minutes of reading, I've all of a sudden gone very much off down lights haha!! A friend has just finished a barn conversion, i though they looked really good.. but like I say, I've never had them.

I guess in that case, dimmers can be used. I'm sure that will cut the power down some what.

Yes, they'll cut the electricity consumption by a small percent.

The light output, however, will fall drastically, so dimmers will make an inefficient scheme even more inefficient.

Spotlights may be out but you can still get more efficient recessed lights, a member on here has recently had his home rewired and had only two secessed fittings in his kitchen which provide more than adequate light.

Spotlights may be out but you can still get more efficient recessed lights, a member on here has recently had his home rewired and had only two secessed fittings in his kitchen which provide more than adequate light.
Yes, yes I have! :LOL:

http://www.qwikfast.co.uk/catalogue/high-frequency-electronic-downlight-p-5016.html

These to be precise. They are VERY bright. Two light my 4.5x2.8m kitchen excellently - VERY brightly!!!

I cant find the post where i fitted them yet - the search is fubar'd. Will find it.

EDIT: found it!!! (click)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back