Low cost driveway solution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a steep incline leading up to a flat grass/mud area where I park my car. This is fine in summer but in winter the muddy area is not suitable. The steep section is concrete so I was going to let that be for now. So just after ideas to replace this area. I was thinking gravel with the honeycomb trays to help retain it.

IMAG0628.jpg

Open to suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Cheers crystal clear. Was thinking of just putting the honeycomb where the tyres will run to save on cost. But still gravel the whole area. Might also need to add some edging to create a lip where the gravel would meet the concrete slope. Will take a better pic tomorrow.

The stones look great mixed in!

Even better.

Just a thought? Can Honeycomb take the pull from car tyres if it's installed on a incline? Like a domino effect?

I'm guessing the gravel in the spaces could stop the collapse of the structure.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the tyres may bend/break the plastic honeycomb on the incline if the weight is applied at an angle? Maybe, although I'm sure I have seen this stuff used for applications in slopes.

Maybe some are stronger than others ...

Yes, and some are stronger. Industrial use to domestic.

Any plans on compacting the ground prior to laying the honeycomb down?

That was my next question. Admittedly I will need to dig down where it meets the concrete but not sure whether to go on top of the soil (compacted) for the rest or whether to dig out and add 100mm MOT? What do you reckon?

I'm not an expert on this subject as far as 'pinning down' the honeycomb.
You need to prioritise some stages; movement of gravel, 'sinking' and correct level to name some....

Let me see what experts say...

Cheers for the help. Better pics tomorrow.

I read that some structure s come with spikes etc but maybe they rely on an interlocked system with complete edging to stop movement.

Sorry, nada. Nuffin' :/

I did read once that it's best not to put a membrane down under the honeycomb/gravel, as this just gives to more of a reason for the structure to slide.

Ideally? Honeycomb with shingles, sitting on a compacted sand base, sitting on compacted gravel base, sitting on a membrane...

I have attached a few more pics of the area, particularly the join between the steep section and the mud/grass.

At the weekend I removed a very muddy section and replaced with 150mm of sub base and some decorative gravel as a temporary fix.
IMAG0629.jpg
IMAG0631.jpg

Had a change of heart.

Think I am going to use some spare 600x600 slabs to create 2 lines of slabs for the car to drive on. Blending them into the slope of the existing drive. I will then gravel in between and at the sides.

Does this plan sound okay?

1. Dig 200mm trenches where the slabs will run.

2. Add 125mm of sub base/MOT type1 and compact with plate

3. Lay slabs on wet mix over the sub base.

4. Cement the edges of the slabs and add gravel

Any feedback appreciated

Anyone got any advice... Good ... Bad?

Think the slabs I have are 36mm? And because I turn onto the drive I may need to create double lines of slabs.

I think you're combining too mant finishes on the drive. It looks like you have a concrete drive, a block pavier pathway beside it, beige slabs at the front of the car plus an area that's got chips. Adding different slabs will make it look a mish-mash. Could you acquire matching paviers?

If you do go with slabs beware you can't simply lay them to two directions of fall without cutting them diagonally.

Thanks for the reply Alan.

Yes unfortunately it is a bit mismatch. Although no bark is present. I was hoping that the gravel and slabs would tie in with the existing gravel and slabs at the top of the garden.

The current sloped section of driveway is pretty old and was there when we moved in. The concrete section joins to next doors driveway too.

I would have the whole thing done but I'm not sure on type etc. And don't want to have it done before we finish renovating the house incase it gets damaged. Hence the need for a low cost solution, and the fact I have a new car coming in 6 weeks :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back