Low pitched mineral roof covering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

we are in the process of purchasing a house and I just received the survey where a recommendation is made which I can't value proper.

Quote: A low pitched mineral felt roof covering is provided to the main roof. Such roof coverings have a limited life and are prone to sudden failure. The felt roof covering is laid over wood wool slabs.

A quick search on the internet showed that such tiles can have a life of up to 40 years.

My question now is: What should I best check myself before I consider getting a roofer in?
I am a bit suspicious that the survey statement is more a security statement rather then a serious issue.

I have a fairly good house DIY knowledge but roofing is new to me.

Thanks!

The Hoffi

Sponsored Links
Alright, I now had a look myself and at least now I know what is meant by the statement of the survey. Couldn't believe that such a roof type is used on domestic houses!

Anyway: What now would be interesting to know is how much would it cost to get a proper roof in place with tiles? The rafters of the current roof are quite thin so I am not sure if this could be simply done by putting a proper roof on top of the existing one. The surface should be arround 60sqm.

And if a rough estimate won't be possible with the mentioned data: Can be said if the whole roof would need to be constructed new? (rafters, insulation, tiles). That at least would lead to a direction regarding the costs.

Any answer would be much appreciated!
thanks!

The Hoffi

Wow! :eek:
First time in my life that I have asked a question in a forum that can't be answered, not even commented on! :LOL:

Never mind, answer might no longer be needed!

The survey I had on my previous house warned about the flat felt covered dormers, stating they were coming to the end of their lives.

8 years later the felt was still doing its job properly.

I think they are just protecting themselves as its impossible to say exactly when a felt roof may leak.

Sponsored Links
Wood-wool board is only a problem if the covering fails. This can be catastrophic.

That said, it is a low weight, low cost, bottom end product.

As for replacing the whole covering with say tiles, then you will need a structural survey to see if the existing roof timbers will tolerate the extra weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back