low pressure from hot supply help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have just prepared my bathroom in order to replace a cast iron bath , which took me nearly two hours to break up and remove and i never realised how heavy it was . I turned my water of at two points , the main stop tap in my kitchen and one in the imersion heater cupboard that feeds to a tank in the loft , i then cut and capped the two feed pipes turned the water back on , my wife reused to watch as she would not believe me that the two caps would work any way all was fine . The cold water pressure is working ok but the hot supply which i know will be cold is only trickling out . Is this normal or do i need to check anything out before i start to replace with the new bath . Thanks

Sponsored Links
if the hot water flow to other taps has reduced, you may have an airlock in the gravity hot feed - see the FAQs.

Sometimes the gate valves normally fitted in the hot supply fail to open fully when the water is turned back on. The only remedy is replacing the faulty valve.

Before installing your new suite check your new taps are compatible with gravity hot water systems. many taps and shower valves are designed for higher pressures, so their performance could be disappointing if used with a gravity system, which may work at less than 0.2 Bar pressure.

It is possible to boost gravity hot water pressure with a pump, but IMO it is better to avoid the need by selecting appropriate brassware at the design stage.

gate valves jam in cloed position all the time. because of this i seldomly close the valve and use plugging kits instead. if it is broke in the close position then a telltail sign is that the valve will keep turmning endlessly. if opened and working then its an air lock. if u have a mixer atp in the kitchen, open the hot side. then close over the outlet of the tap with one hand and slowly open the mains water and have the taps at the wash hand basin opened upstairs. do this until the ater comes out of the taps to clear the air out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back