Low voltage downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a question. I went and had a look at some low voltage downlighters today at a well known store. One problem the wire lengths on the cables are not long enough in between each connector. There is only a distance of probably 1 meter between lights.

If you wanted 1 in each corner of the room it wouldn't work.

How would you go about this. Are you allowed to extend the cable lengths in between.? Shouldn't have to though

Sponsored Links
1) You shouldn't use those kits which have multiple lights off 1 transformer, 1:1 is much better.

2) You could always forget the hassle of ELV lights, and use mains ones

3) You could extend the cables, but it would probably invalidate the guarantee.

4) Don't forget that voltage drop is much more of a problem with ELV - you'll need surprisingly thick cables to carry 12V around a room.....

Yeah though as much. I've just put 5 x 50 watts in a large bedroom that we have. I'll just have to calculate the wattage and have mains ones instead. The Gu10's are really nice.

Just out of interest how do you position downlighters in a room. In the bedroom we have set a downlighter in each of the corners set away from the corners and one in the middle. I really don't need 250W in every room.

And on another point how many watts per room would you have given the other 3 bedrooms to be 13x13 each. I know that i can only have 1200W on 6amp MCB.

you should look at lighting a room as "painting it"

how bright and what colour would you like it to be

mrs breezer likes a room "dim" where as in my old age i cant see none too well so i like it "bright"

but what is my bright and mrs breezers dim to you?

so to answer your question,

its up to you

Sponsored Links
very good.... Mrs andemz hasn't a clue... just do it is the message....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back