Low Voltage Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:rolleyes: I want to install a set of 10 low voltage L.E.D lights in my bathroom, i have checked the box and instructions and they are suitable for zone 1, 2 & 3 the only problem is they come connected to a three pin adapter, now someone earlier on in a different question suggested i put a three pin socket up my loft and run them from there would i be able to do that and how do i run a socket of a light circuit and what would be the wiring set up, My lighting is on a loom. Thanks to everyone who helped me in my earlier question i did what was suggested and it's working a treat.

Sponsored Links
as you said you asked the SAME question earlier, here please do not start another thread regarding the same question

1) Take them back.

2) Report the retailer to the appropriate Trading Standards office - they are breaking the law in selling these items.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
1) Take them back.

2) Report the retailer to the appropriate Trading Standards office - they are breaking the law in selling these items.

I aggree with pugwash, what law are they breaking then?

Sale of Goods act - fitness for purpose, merchantable quality and all that.

They are sold as suitable for bathrooms.

The fact that they must be plugged into a BS1363 socket outlet means that they are not suitable for the purpose for which they are sold.

I agree with Ban

The Sale Of Goods Act (1979) states that goods must be fit for the purpose for which they are intended. In this case, as Ban rightly says, the lights that are supposed to be suitable for a bathroom clearly are not, because the only method of connection to the electricity supply is via a socket outlet.

i see what you say, but i dont think you would have a leg to stand on in court, it could be argued that you can put a socket in the loft and plug them into this, transformer out the way, lights through the ceiling.

the packet probably says transformer not to be used in damp conditions

You could always argue that a lighting manufacturer is encouraging the use of 13A socket outlets on a lighting circuit, which is not a standard installation method.

The IEE (having just phoned them) would be surprised if the use of BS 1363 socket outlet to connect a lighting kit intended for installation in a ceiling met the requirements of BS3535 - the standard covering isolating transformers. If the kit had a transformer that could be wired into a fused spur, then that would be acceptable, but the tx is combined with a plug top, so that is out.

The IEE went on to say that they personally would not install such a kit, and neither would any pro spark. I suggested a couple of possible methods which they seemed happy with, providing there is "thorough and permanent" labelling of the circuit as "a non standard installation", explaining how the circuit is wired.

The first is to use a 3 gang socket connected to the existing lighting circuit, fused down to 3A, and plug the tranny into there.

The second would be to do away with the lighting circuit in that room, and wire the lighting off the ring via a fused spur (3A).

But, ultimately, he said he would refuse to install and advise the client to return the kit for a refund.

He also suggested contacting Trading Standards to see if there was any breach of the SOGA, 1979.

breezer said:
i see what you say, but i dont think you would have a leg to stand on in court, it could be argued that you can put a socket in the loft and plug them into this, transformer out the way, lights through the ceiling.
What if you've not got a loft, or indeed any accessible space over the bathroom?

A very good point. Give the man a biscuit!

Apologies for my rubbish message - I've worked out since I must have dozed off at the pc!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back