Bathroom Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am redecorating my bathroom and want to install some low voltage lights i bought these in a ready to go pack from B&Q a pack of ten. I also bought a pack 10 of L.E.D lights ready to go the only problem with the L.E.D lights is they come with a plug. First of i want to keep the exsisting 240 main light and install the 10 low voltage lights on a seperate switch or if possible on the same switch. What would be the easiest way to do this. The low voltage lights do not have an earth. I know some electrical terms but please in the easiest way possible. Second, How do i install the L.E.D lights without having to install a socket in the bathroom or anywhere else, can this be done. Thanks for any response. :cry:

Sponsored Links
PULSE said:
I am redecorating my bathroom and want to install some low voltage lights i bought these in a ready to go pack from B&Q a pack of ten. I also bought a pack 10 of L.E.D lights ready to go the only problem with the L.E.D lights is they come with a plug. First of i want to keep the exsisting 240 main light and install the 10 low voltage lights on a seperate switch or if possible on the same switch. What would be the easiest way to do this.
The easiest way would be to connect the transformer to the ceiling rose or junction box that supplies the existing light.

The low voltage lights do not have an earth.
That's quite normal.

Second, How do i install the L.E.D lights without having to install a socket in the bathroom or anywhere else, can this be done.
First - are these lights sold as being suitable for use in a bathroom? If so, they should not have a plug, as HTH are you supposed to connect them? If not, then maybe you should not be using them?

Second, is the "plug" just a plug or is it a wall-wart, i.e. with a built in transformer/PSU? If the former, then you could cut the plug off and wire it to an FCU, making sure you use the same fuse rating. If the latter then you are probably stuffed, unless you fancy trying to find a power supply of the right specs, that does have a flying mains lead and that you could connect to the LED lights.

Thanks for that is it ok just to connect the transformer up to the exsisting light rose and just use the same switch and as for the L.E.D lights you are right it is a transformer plug but i have checked and it says ideal for zone 1,2 and 3 in the bathroom. I think i will just run a cable through to the next room before i gyproc the wall and have a socket there to plug it into. Would that be ok. maybe not ideal but must be better than having a socket in the bathroom and visible wires.

PULSE said:
Thanks for that is it ok just to connect the transformer up to the exsisting light rose and just use the same switch and as for the L.E.D lights you are right it is a transformer plug but i have checked and it says ideal for zone 1,2 and 3 in the bathroom. I think i will just run a cable through to the next room before i gyproc the wall and have a socket there to plug it into. Would that be ok. maybe not ideal but must be better than having a socket in the bathroom and visible wires.

i put the same sort of lights along the plasterboarded purlins in my loftroom. Above the ceiling where the ceiling rose it i mounted a single 13amp socket and pluged the transformer into it so the low voltage lights work off the bedroom light switch. No need for a fused spur connection as its on the 6amp MCB for the upstairs lighting then. Not that anyone is likely to go and plug a kettle in above the bedroom ceiling anyway.

Sponsored Links
PULSE said:
Thanks for that is it ok just to connect the transformer up to the exsisting light rose and just use the same switch
Yup. You ought to check that the lighting circuit itself won't be overloaded by the new addition, but that isn't affected by where you connect it, and if there are 10 lamps in the set I doubt if each one is very bright.

One tip - make sure you can get at the transformer easily, because it won't be long before you have to replace it. And keep a stock of spare bulbs, as you might find that if one goes the remaining ones get overloaded.

and as for the L.E.D lights you are right it is a transformer plug but i have checked and it says ideal for zone 1,2 and 3 in the bathroom.
Ideal, that is, apart from the fact that you can't actually plug it in :rolleyes: . They really shouldn't be allowed to make such items, and as for the buyer at B&Q who decided to stock them doesn't that just show how incompetent they are, and how little respect they have for their customers...

I think i will just run a cable through to the next room before i gyproc the wall and have a socket there to plug it into. Would that be ok.
It would be tacky, and would mean that you couldn't control the lights from the room where they are, and if ever the power supply went wrong you'd have a major job to replace it, but provided you ensure that the cable won't be damaged and won't overheat through being buried, then it'll be safe.

But unless you are dead-set on having these, I'd suggest you take them back to B&Q and ram them up the manager's **se.

maybe not ideal but must be better than having a socket in the bathroom and visible wires.
More than that - you aren't allowed a socket in the bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back