Low voltage wire system

Sponsored Links
Without description or picture no.
I will guess you intended to post this picture? It does not look like a low voltage transformer to me. Give us some clues what does it feed and low voltage covers 50vac to 1000vac so some clues please.

Without description or picture no.
I will guess you intended to post this picture? It does not look like a low voltage transformer to me. Give us some clues what does it feed and low voltage covers 50vac to 1000vac so some clues please.

Hi, it supports 4 x12v, 35w lamps suspended on a wire system

Its a torroidal wire wound single output transformer used mainly for12 volt 2 wire lighting track
you need to read the VA rating and output voltage stamped on it

Sponsored Links
I have uploaded some more pictures.

Assume the make is "massive"?

Also, as all lights failed i assume it is the fuse?

The label says "therm" which I assume is a special type of fuse?

Is the fuse the black item sticking out of the top of the unit and held in by screws?

Thanks

You need to show the pictures on the page. Label does say 175VA which is nearly the same as watts and states 5 x 35W lamps at 12 volt.

the transformer shown in link is 200VA and can replace the one you have but clearly does not look the same.

The original is from Belgium and shows no UK dealers. There is however a "contact us" option but no point in me doing that for you.

I note Cheshire and think possibly originally an Ikea product see this link so a visit to Warrington would seem likely best option and see what is sold now.

You need to show the pictures on the page. Label does say 175VA which is nearly the same as watts and states 5 x 35W lamps at 12 volt.

the transformer shown in link is 200VA and can replace the one you have but clearly does not look the same.

The original is from Belgium and shows no UK dealers. There is however a "contact us" option but no point in me doing that for you.

I note Cheshire and think possibly originally an Ikea product see this link so a visit to Warrington would seem likely best option and see what is sold now.

Thanks @ericmark for your help and sorry about the pictures as I though I was adding them to my posts , obviously not......

Not looking to replace the whole transformer, just the fuse as I think it has blown. So, is the black thingy at the top of the unit the fuse?

In general thermal fuses are fixed and are not designed to be replaced. One can strip down and solder in new ones but important to select the correct size. The current fuse often is replaceable but these also are sometimes soldered in place so I would say try the manufacturer and ask if you can buy replacements.

I would not be surprised to find no user replaceable parts. The fuses are often purely to stop the device bursting into flames when it fails and in theory they should never blow unless the device goes faulty. Output current around 15A so fuse must be on supply side since it should only use 0.8A to blow a 2.5A fuse clearly something very wrong.

Big problem with these are they are designed for 35W lamps but a 50W lamp will fit which can burn out transformer and the fuse will then stop whole unit going up in flames.

The unit has two fuses - a non-replacable (without hacking the thing apart) thermal fuse and a 20mm T2.5A one which presumably is user replaceable.

Is it not in the black carrier at the top?

The unit has two fuses - a non-replacable (without hacking the thing apart) thermal fuse and a 20mm T2.5A one which presumably is user replaceable.

Is it not in the black carrier at the top?

The black carrier looks like it is held in by screws and does not have a carrier as such. I would assume that they would design the unit to have easy access for users?

I'll take another look

Thanks

OK so the black item is in fact a carrier and has a fuse in it.

It took a lot more force than i expected to remove it.

thanks for all those who helped and gave me direction

Assuming it has blown, make sure you replace it with an identical one (the T bit is important).

As ericmark said though, it shouldn't blow unless there's a problem. So you might find the replacement just blows straight away.

One last question.

Can I replace the lamps (35w12volt) with LED versions using the same transformer etc?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back