LPG vs. Oil in modern times.

Nothing stopping you having both since you have both boilers just connect them both up to the same system.

My preference is an lpg system boiler and unvented cylinder or
oil boiler with unvented cylinder.

Both will be more reliable than combi and give better water delivery.

Sponsored Links
A few years ago the regulations changed as regards bulk LPG tanks; due to monopoly rules, LPG suppliers must now share their bulk tanks with other suppliers. So in essence you can use any company's Gas in any bulk tank.

So how is that operating?

I thought that the likes of Calor will still pay for a new tank and extract the cost from over priced gas?

On an old type diesel Tony - i.e the indirect injection type with no common rail, solenoid injectors or turbo, the engine will run quite well!

Recovering waste heat will be a problem though.
John :)

So my 1999 Peugeot 106 engine should be fine?

As for extracting the waste heat all I need is a plate on the cooling water and a heat exchanger on the exhaust.

But I am still short of a 6 kVa alternator!

A few years ago the regulations changed as regards bulk LPG tanks; due to monopoly rules, LPG suppliers must now share their bulk tanks with other suppliers. So in essence you can use any company's Gas in any bulk tank.

So how is that operating?

I thought that the likes of Calor will still pay for a new tank and extract the cost from over priced gas?

My understanding is Tony; if you have an existing tank that belongs to say Knobgas, you can fill it with LPG from Fannygas. I'm not too sure how that all works in practice though.

Sponsored Links
In the overall scheme of things; oil combi boilers are fairly cr.p.
By their very nature an oil boiler needs to run for 20minutes plus to run at their optimum fuel consumption wise. But most oil Combis at best, have only a small heat bank for hot water & tend to cycle quite a lot.

While Kero will always be cheaper to run than LPG, I'd tend to fit a large buffer tank & feed any primary water from that. Of course your property may not lend itself to a system of that nature - with space being at a premium.

LPG has always been marketed on it's convenience not it's economy.
As oil boilers need a long burn to be more efficient, having a large buffer or thermal store makes a lot of sense with oil, as you have pointed out. The OP wrote the system is old so looks like it needs replacing. The OP can fit a new buffer/thermal store that supplies the heating and hot water. He could keep the LPG and fit a new oil boiler (maybe external) and have both heat a thermal store. Then he has the luxury of choosing the cheapest and has backup.

On an old type diesel Tony - i.e the indirect injection type with no common rail, solenoid injectors or turbo, the engine will run quite well!

As for extracting the waste heat all I need is a plate on the cooling water and a heat exchanger on the exhaust.

Car engines are very inefficient having internal combustion which is a lot of explosions. They also have excessive pumping losses. External combustion continuous burn is far more efficient. Using a car engine is only worth it for electricity generation. When doing so extract as much waste heat as possible dumping the heat into a thermal storage system for later use. Internal combustion engines generate more heat than turning motion. Using the heat for other purpose is wise. In the USA some large cars had absorption a/c units cooling the car. We use waste heat to heat inside of cars. But most is wasted. There are anomalies. I believe in Siberia they use most of the waste heat to heat the inside of buses making the whole setup efficient. 80% of the energy in your fuel tanks is wasted.

Car engines and purpose designed generator engines are not quite the same. Genny engines do not have heavy flywheels, so can be lighter and slightly smaller. Lotus are having a 3 cylinder genny engine built for hybrid cars which will make a difference in the confines of a car body and make the car lighter.

Some manufacturers make Combined Heat and Power (CHP) Stirling engines in which the piston is freewheeling (not connected to anything). The piston and cylinder linings have electric coils that generate the electricity. A NZ company was making them with tappings to take off to heat a thermal storage buffer.

No you pay for install of the tank. YOu can then transfer to another supplier. I assume there is some payments going on between the suppliers behind the scenes to cover costs of tank.

A lot of good stuff here, I didn't know you could switch supplier, looks like I could be busy in the morning, better find the contract now.

Listen mate, this forum is full of Google chancers. For expert advice you know who to ask...... ;)

Just to add a point, you can use oil for cooking, although initial costs can be higher. An oil fired single burner range cooker/boiler will heat a hot water cylinder while you are cooking dinner, so hot water is effectively free. (if its a big dinner you will also get Central heating free). Most modern cookers have two burners; one for cooker and one for boiler, these are more efficient and although some heat goes to the water while cooking, it is not enough for a cylinder full.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back