LV Lighting in a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I was reading about the bathroom zones - trying to decide on light types and noticed that not many fittings can go over the bath area (no shower) and I have the following question.

IF using Low Voltage e.g. 12 or 24v DC with the transformer(s) located outside the actual bathroom is it allowable to fit any lights in zone 1 etc?

If required the transformer can of course be on a 30ma spur, but I presume that is not a requirements, are these LV transformers isolating?

Part - P does not cover ` low voltage ` - could householders just have a transformer fitted by a spark and then spend all day putting their own lights in the kitchen and bathroom ???

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
dmcclymont said:
Hi All,

I was reading about the bathroom zones - trying to decide on light types and noticed that not many fittings can go over the bath area (no shower) and I have the following question.

IF using Low Voltage e.g. 12 or 24v DC with the transformer(s) located outside the actual bathroom is it allowable to fit any lights in zone 1 etc?

If required the transformer can of course be on a 30ma spur, but I presume that is not a requirements, are these LV transformers isolating?

Part - P does not cover ` low voltage ` - could householders just have a transformer fitted by a spark and then spend all day putting their own lights in the kitchen and bathroom ???
Thanks.
You can put ELV lights in Zone 2 and even 1, transformer has to be out of zone 2 (in Zone 3 at least). Although it is not mentioned personally, I would select IP rated lights. You can put "main lights" in Zone 2 and above.

As the Bathroom is considered as a special location, the work you are going to do is notifiable.

sadly
EXTRA-LOW VOLTAGE ANCILLARY INSTALLATIONS
The extra-low voltage (ELV) category was
included within Part P to cover extra-low voltage
lighting installations, comprising downlighters,
which have been known to be the cause of a
number of house fires, for example, due to
incorrectly sized conductors, sub-standard
installations and breakdown at terminations.
We understand that the ODPM are working on
guidelines which may specify how Part P will
apply to ELV ancillary systems within dwellings.
from http://www.eca.co.uk/
part p downloads

Thanks everyone - I will go through the mill so to speak and get it all inspected etc!

I am planning to use wall lights set into brick and will be overrating the cables by at least 50% and same with the transformers (I hate having to go and replace stuff later!) The transformers are outside of the room itself so hopefully all bases are covered!

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
dwain dibley said:
sadly
EXTRA-LOW VOLTAGE ANCILLARY INSTALLATIONS
The extra-low voltage (ELV) category was
included within Part P to cover extra-low voltage
lighting installations, comprising downlighters,
which have been known to be the cause of a
number of house fires, for example, due to
incorrectly sized conductors, sub-standard
installations and breakdown at terminations.
We understand that the ODPM are working on
guidelines which may specify how Part P will
apply to ELV ancillary systems within dwellings.
from http://www.eca.co.uk/
part p downloads
Never mind all that meaningless and insignificant drivel.

What the law says is that if you are replacing an existing bathroom light with a CE-marked pre-assembled ELV set then it is not notifiable. If you are adding lights, or if it is not a CE-marked etc set then it is notifiable.

dwain dibley said:
Arrogant t***

Don't worry you will get used to "ban-all-sheds", just ignore the parts that you don't like... :LOL:

this is what is written on his page: "I don't suffer from stress - I'm a carrier". be careful not to get infected... ;)

Albert said:
You can put ELV lights in Zone 2 and even 1, transformer has to be out of zone 2 (in Zone 3 at least). Although it is not mentioned personally, I would select IP rated lights. You can put "main lights" in Zone 2 and above.

Even with SELV, you need IPX4 if installing in zone 1 or 2. (and IPX7 in zone 0).

This is what NICEIC say, presumably (but not necessarily) this is what the regs say. I don't have my books here at work. Maybe someone else will confirm.

dwain dibley said:

Arrogant t***
It is meaningless, because it uses terms which are not used in the legislation.

It is meaningless because it talks vaguely about what the ODPM might be doing in the future, so it has nothing to do with what the law says now.

It is insignificant because the ECA do not make the law, therefore nothing they say has any legal significance.

It is insignificant because ODPM guidelines are not the law, and have no legal significance.

If you think that I'm an arrogant t*** for pointing out the truth and identifying falsehoods then I have to seriously wonder if you have a motive for coming here wanting to give out false information.....

the guy seemed unsure if the the work came under part p.
it doesn't matter if the eca/nic/my budgie say it is, or not.

the Lord ban-all-sheds almighty says

What the law says is that if you are replacing an existing bathroom light with a CE-marked pre-assembled ELV set then it is not notifiable. If you are adding lights, or if it is not a CE-marked etc set then it is notifiable.

hence part p

i come to this forum to learn a bit and help a bit. if i am wrong about something, i have no problem with being corrected. if i feel somebody else has something wrong, i would politely say so, in order that we may both solve a problem

as the fountain of all knowledge you come here do bestow you wisdom, and massage your ego

hence arrogant t***

dmcclymont said:
Part - P does not cover ` low voltage `
From Statutory Instrument 2004 No. 3210 The Building (Amendment) (No.3) Regulations 2004:

The requirements of this Part apply only to electrical installations that are intended to operate at low or extra-low voltage and are -

(a) in a dwelling;

(b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;

(c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or

(d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling

dwain dibley said:
the guy seemed unsure if the the work came under part p.
it doesn't matter if the eca/nic/my budgie say it is, or not.
That is very true.

the Lord ban-all-sheds almighty says

hence part p
Part P of the Building Regulations applies, of course, to work on all fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer's side of the electricity supply meter that that are intended to operate at low or extra-low voltage and are in a dwelling etc.

i come to this forum to learn a bit and help a bit. if i am wrong about something, i have no problem with being corrected. if i feel somebody else has something wrong, i would politely say so,
So if you thought I was wrong to say what I did, why did you call me an "arrogant t***"? Is that what you term polite?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back