macerators ? ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
Recently a bathroom showroom company i am subbing to has asked me about macerators or if i know of another option so thought id pick some brains on here :D

the house has an internal soil pipe running through bathroom at the back of house and customer wants an ensuite shower deffinately and maybe a bog too in bedroom at front of house so does anyone have any tips regarding these things or ideas for alturnatives? how far can these things pump?
boss mentioned running 40mm waste from macerator out of front of house round house to back and knock through wall to soil pipe
this sounds a bit far to me as its probobly 10 -15 meters maybe slightly more
over to you

thanks in advance ;)

Rich.

Sponsored Links
cheers fella

another concern i have is the run of 32mm outside being at risk of freezeing

will the macerator run even when you run say a basin just to wash hands?

forgive my ignorrance but have never come across these contraptions before

They only run when they get to a certain level but I think they get rid of nigh on everything
Never returned to one I have fitted for repairs so they are either still working or the customer didn't want me back lol
:LOL: customer not wanting me back unlikely by the way lol

Sponsored Links
Yes they will run when you wash your hands if you send the water into the macerator which you will probably have to. Can be quite disconcerting for the unwary :evil:

15m shouldn't be a problem, they can run a lot further than that. Observe the correct fall from the instructions. Frost can be a problem. External pipes should be lagged, but personally I still wouldn't want long horizontal runs outside. I would prefer to run it straight into the sewer rather than back through a wall to a hidden soil stack but you can do either.

so in theory it should never freeze up as its pumped and with a decent fall on pipe when not in use pipe will be empty !
aah i see
;)

thanks for that sime
what elec requirements are needed?

ideally i would like to run it out of bedroom, across landing and out of wall which will reduce external pipe run to 2 to 3 meters tops but running pipe inside i can see problems getting a fall on pipe whilst going through joists i think manufacturer requires 1% fall

If I was doing it I would go the shortest route and not worry about freezing
but then I am not doing it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back