Macphersons Gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I haven't used Macpherson's gloss since the 2010 VOC regs and was supplied with a tin of their trade gloss today. Have any of you tried it and found it to be better/worse than others with regards to yellowing?

I found myself using Macphersons quite often a few years back but would like to know what to expect from it now, after the VOC changes. :confused:

Cheers,
mrH :)

Sponsored Links
It is no secret that before 2010 Macphersons was an excellent paint system, sadly since 2010 i'm afraid it suffers the same fate.

Dec

what would be most peoples oil based white gloss of choice be now then due to the yellowing?

Sponsored Links
it was always dulux but have to say i tend to use johnstones nowadays. moving over to water based more and more now though and that tends to be johnstones also, but do quite like the crown water based gloss.

it was always dulux but have to say i tend to use johnstones nowadays. moving over to water based more and more now though and that tends to be johnstones also, but do quite like the crown water based gloss.

Have to agree with johnstones, good product. Water based paints seem to be the future.

Cant say anything about Macphersons as i've never used them, but agree with Dec that all OB paints will suffer, my personal choice is sikkens but as also mentioned trying to switch to WB as it is unfortunately the future.
Still beats me why the paint companies dont sell in a pot what they took out so we can put it back in!!

dcdec,

Macphersons was a great paint, it was Donald Macperson that supplied paint to Woolworths, sadly though as you have mentioned all o/b systems have suffered the same fate.

Dec

Cheers guys - I guessed it would be the same as the rest but hoped I was wrong. (Wishful thinking, eh! :mad: )

Macphersons was my first port of call for gloss until I was given a tin of Dulux Professional Liquid Gloss about 4 years ago and loved it - that's all I used afterwards. I've still got 3 x 2.5l tins of the Pre-2010 Dulux PLG left (bought 6 from B&Q with one of their 3 for 2 offers a couple of years back) so will use that when I'm supplying. The post 2010 version is probably the quickest yellowing paint out there. :evil:

I've only tried Sikkens once and wasn't too keen TBH - bit pricey and the lettering/numbering of all their products gets a bit confusing.

I've used the Johnstones Acrylic Gloss a few times and don't mind it, though I still much prefer the look and flow of oil based gloss. Seems WB is the way forward though so will have to get used to it.

Those 3 tins of pre 2010 PLG, not by any chance for sale are they. ;)

Dec

Sorry mate, but they're probably worth more than Liquid Gold! :LOL:

I've only got them left because I was pretty much completely out of action for a year. Need more surgery now so they'll probably be around for another twelve months! ;)

Quick update:

I've been using the Macphersons gloss all day and it is very white - no blue or grey tinge like some other brands. :D However, it does tend to drag quite a bit when laying off, but it then settles nicely. :unsure:

I'm just praying it stays white for as long as possible because the property is going on the market when it's finished.

Quick update:

I've been using the Macphersons gloss all day and it is very white - no blue or grey tinge like some other brands. :D However, it does tend to drag quite a bit when laying off, but it then settles nicely. :unsure:

I'm just praying it stays white for as long as possible because the property is going on the market when it's finished.

fingers crossed it sells within the month then. lol :LOL:

Well I wish you the very best of luck with it and would greatly appreciate your update with regard to the later outcome, yet you will have to forgive me if I dont hold my breath ;)

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back