Made a mistake with loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Bought some Space Blanket loft insulation which I've never used before. In my haste I took the insulation out of the plastic covering before I laid it!!

Two questions:

Do I need to pull it out and re-enter in the cover? Hope not as I've thrown that away.

Can I lay the next rolls with the cover alongside the first one?

Assuming that it's fine but not as fine as with the heat resistant cover on.

Many yhanks

Longshanks

Sponsored Links
Many thanks

Do you know why these particular rolls are too narrow for the gap between the joists?

(My house built by Wimpey in 1981)

You bought the wrong width? (They come in various widths to fit various gaps...)

Sponsored Links
If you can't exchange the 400mm rolls for 600mm rolls, you could use the roll you have taken out of its sleeve and split into 2 x 200mm rolls to fill the gap left by a narrow roll.

Insulation between joists generally leaves gaps and is not as good as it could be. If you still have the original 25 mm of insulation, you can take it out first, lay the new insulation between the joists and put the old insulation on top running across the joists to cover any gaps. Don't worry about covering the space blanket, any improvement the space blanket gives is less than the loss through the gaps.

Many thanks again. Have now filled gap and laid two further rolls (correct size this time!).

Can I just claridy the trade off between insulation and storage. Nothwithstanding cable etc is it OK to put loftboard over Space Blanket?

(Label refers to use of "Space Board")

Thanks again

L

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back