Main 24 Combi boiler - heating cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our Main Combi 24 hot water and central heating boiler appears to be playing up. Every now and again, when the boiler is heating the house, the heating cuts out even though the house hasn’t yet met its temperature. e.g. yesterday evening I got home at 6pm, the boiler had been set to come on at 4pm and heat the house to 21 deg C, but when I got in it was still only 18 deg C and the radiators were barely warm. When I went upstairs to see what the boiler was doing, I could hear the pump running but it was not burning any gas.

I moved the switch to the reset position for a couple of seconds, and then back to the normal position, and lo and behold it immediately fired up and ran fine for the rest of the day.

If this was an isolated case then I wouldn’t be so worried, however last winter it did similar things and I had engineers from a local (Watford) firm come and look at it on several occasions, and they did things like replace the sensor, the AAV, and the heat exchanger, but the problem persisted.

In the end, they came to the conclusion that the boiler was actually working correctly – they said that the boiler would come on, and would cut out occasionally when it (the boiler itself) got too hot and would then come back on again. At this point, I had spent so much money on their repeat visits that even though I was doubtful, I took them at their word. As the weather got warmer it became less of an issue and I forgot about it.

Now it has got cold again and there is a more of a demand on the boiler, the problem has flared up again (no pun intended) and I’m now of the opinion that what they told me last year (about it working correctly) cannot be true. If the boiler had correctly shut down because it had overheated, then surely pressing the reset switch would not make it magically come back on? If it was too hot, then it would still be too hot when turned back on and so should still have refused to burn.

So, I am thinking that the problem is perhaps more of a logic problem? Could it be the PCB has got an issue?

Or is there something else which would explain this issue?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ackoman

Sponsored Links
Pretty poor boiler at best. I wouldn't waste any money on it. Swap it out for something better.
If the radiators where only luck warm but the pump was running it would suggest the boiler was still hot.
If you have thermostatic valves open these all up to full and see if any difference.

Pretty poor boiler at best. I wouldn't waste any money on it. Swap it out for something better.
If the radiators where only luck warm but the pump was running it would suggest the boiler was still hot.
If you have thermostatic valves open these all up to full and see if any difference.

The boiler wasn't hot, but it had been at some point in the recent past i.e. at some point after 4pm, but had shut off at some point before 6pm. Judging by the fact that the house was only at 18 degs C suggests to me that the boiler had not been on for a while. Flicking the reset switch made the boiler come on, and within a few minutes the radiators were proper hot, and after an hour or so the house had heated up to the required temperature. So when it wants to get the radiators hot it is clearly capable of doing so.

These are budget boilers but mostly very similar to the Potterton or Baxi badged boilers. Many engineers like to fit them to give budget installations in the belief that all customers want a budget installation. But they are still totally repairable.

There are several things which a competent engineer would check and if they are all correct would probably conclude that it is the PCB at fault.

Identifying the correct replacement PCB can sometimes be a problem.

Tony

Sponsored Links
What is the simplest way for me to work out if mine is a Main 24 or a Main 24 HE? It does only say "Main 24" on the front panel, however I've just read through an installation manual for a Main 24 and it looks as though they weren't differentiating between a Main 24 and a Main 24 HE.

I ask, because I presume the different models will require different PCBs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back