Main RDS tripping with lightning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have read a previous trail on RDS tripping but electrical storms were not mentioned. My house is rural with an overhead mains supply. There is one 100mA RCD plus eight MCB. Whenever we are away (or at home) the RCD will trip if there is a nearby thunderstorm. Just our house, not a general power outage. If we are on holiday, freezer and heating system stops so are at risk for poisonous food and/or frozen house pipes.

Is it a) Possible to fit a much less sensitive RCD or
b) get an electrician to fit a bypass of the RCD circuit to be activated when we are away. Legal? The 8 MCB could continue with short circuit protection?

My understanding is that the RCD is to prevent human electrocution, so this would not matter when the house is empty (ignoring a possible burglar human rights issue?)

The RCD used to trip more often, but much better after replacing some old sockets.

Advice most welcome.

Sponsored Links
No, the purpose of RCDs is to switch off the supply if there's a fault to earth. It will only prevent electrocution if the fault path to earth is via a person.

Sorry, posted too early.
I would hope that no professional electrician would bypass an RCD. You could ask an electrician to fit a surge protection device to absorb the 'spikes' from lightning strikes.

Have read a previous trail on RDS tripping but electrical storms were not mentioned. My house is rural with an overhead mains supply. There is one 100mA RCD plus eight MCB. Whenever we are away (or at home) the RCD will trip if there is a nearby thunderstorm. Just our house, not a general power outage. If we are on holiday, freezer and heating system stops so are at risk for poisonous food and/or frozen house pipes.
You obviously didn't read the right one, since in at least one of them I reported (again, rural with overhead supply) that I used to have RCDs tripping all over the place whenever there was lightning anywhere near my home. However, that all seemed to stop a few years back, and the only explanation I can think of is that they must have found a wave of improving the 'filtering out' of lightning-induced spikes on their network
Is it a) Possible to fit a much less sensitive RCD or ...
A different RCD might, by chance, be less sensitive to lightning, but one which was 'less sensitive' by design would not be acceptable (would not do its job). The RCD you have is already not sensitive enough to provide protection to persons against electric shock.
b) get an electrician to fit a bypass of the RCD circuit to be activated when we are away. Legal? The 8 MCB could continue with short circuit protection? ... My understanding is that the RCD is to prevent human electrocution, so this would not matter when the house is empty (ignoring a possible burglar human rights issue?)
It would certainly be unwise, almost certainly non-compliant with regulations under any circumstances, and certainly non-compliant (and dangerous) if, as seems probably the case, you have 'TT' earthing - apart from anything else there would always be the danger that you could easily forget to remove the 'bypass' when the house was occupied.

As for the purpose/function of the RCD, one purpose is, as you say, to reduce the risk of certain types of electric shock being fatal - so, as you imply, only relevant when the house is occupied. However, the 100mA RCD you have (presumably because you have a 'TT' earthing system) is not adequate for that purpose - to protect persons you would require more sensitive (30mA) one(s). In addition, if, as seems likely (from the fact that you have a 100mA RCD) your house has a "TT" earthing system (i.e. you have your own earth rod), then the RCD is essential to provide protection against 'live-earth' faults/shorts (which could cause fires, even when house was unoccupied), since MCBs are not usually capable of providing such protection in TT installations.

If you do have a TT installation, it's hard to think of a solution (other than trying a different RCD, just in case it is less sensitive to lightning, or maybe some sort of 'surge/spike protector. but I'm not convinced that necessarily would solve your problem). If it weren't TT, then you could discuss with your electrician the possibility of running crucial things (e.g. freezer, heating controls) off dedicated non-RCD-protected circuits.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for those educative and amazingly fast replies to my first ever post here.

I will look into the power surge protection possibility.

Just to be clear, if it is possible to set up a non-RCD-protected circuit for the freezer and heating only, what is the reason this could not be done if we have a TT earthed system?

I understand some institutions are allowed not to use RCD protection for some vital installations like the military/defence and perhaps things like shopping centre fire exit lights. i.e. allowed some slack outside the regulations. My house does not come under this heading of course, but losing all lighting, heating and freezer is obviously a major pain. Retired now so away quite often!

Must just say how impressed I am with the speed and helpfulness of this site.

A TT installation relies on RCDs for fault protection ie to ensure your metalwork doesn't become live under a fault condition. You cannot remove it without giving rise to danger.

Just to be clear, if it is possible to set up a non-RCD-protected circuit for the freezer and heating only, what is the reason this could not be done if we have a TT earthed system?
Because, as I explained, MCBs cannot usually provide protection against Live-earth faults/shorts on TT systems (the current that one can get into a TT rod usually is just not enough to make an MCB trip), so (at least 100mA) RCD protection of every circuit is required.

Kind Regards, John

If the existing RCD is an old voltage operated one then replacing it with a current operated one should reduce but not completely eliminate the risk of a trip due to nearby lightning strikes.

If the existing RCD is an old voltage operated one then replacing it with a current operated one should reduce but not completely eliminate the risk of a trip due to nearby lightning strikes.
It surely would not be a "voltage-operated" one if it is labelled "100mA"? Although I agree that 'voltage-operated' was essentially a misnomer (since it was the passage of current through then which caused them to operate!), I'm all but certain that they were never labelled with the current that would cause them to operate - certainly none I saw ever were.

Kind Regards, John

I would be interested to know that.

Are VOELCBs on overhead TT supplies susceptible to being triggered by nearby lightning strikes?

I wonder if French practices might be worth looking at? There's a lot of thunderstorm activity over the Massif Central, and much of that is pretty rural, so TT supplies are likely to be commonplace.

Are VOELCBs on overhead TT supplies susceptible to being triggered by nearby lightning strikes?
I must say that my intuition would have inclined me to the opposite view (in comparison with 'RCDs'). Whilst most, if not all, modern ('current-operated') RCDs seem to have electronic triggering, which could well be susceptible to voltage spikes with minimal current-supplying capability, with a VOELCB one has to push at least the threshold current (~30mA or whatever) through a relatively low impedance coil (IIRC, of the order of 350-500Ω) in order for it to operate.

[Ironically, therefore, an electronically-triggered RCD can probably be (unintentionally) truly 'voltage operated', whereas a VOELCB operate in response to a threshold current flowing through its coil :) ]

Kind Regards, John

It could be some sort of mains surge arrester or suppressor passing current to earth causing it to trip.

I wonder if French practices might be worth looking at? There's a lot of thunderstorm activity over the Massif Central, and much of that is pretty rural, so TT supplies are likely to be commonplace.

My experience of Rural installs is indeed that they have TT supplies (or should that be EE supplies? ;)) and usually a single AC type ELCB on the tails (but I have only seen older installations).

And yes, IME, they trip during thunderstorms!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back