mains connected Mira cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've replaced a previous shower because its heater packed in. New shower is a Mira Sprint 8.5. Connection was quite easy because power & mains water already in place. Only differences: a new flow isolator just before the shower, operated by 90 degree turn of a screw and a new 40 amp fuse. The handset is the one supplied (i.e. new) and is not blocked.

The shower unit has a temperature control dial, a flow control dial and a start-stop button. I've tried all positions of both dials, including the commissioning sequence described in the guide. Also tried positioning the mains input tap just on and fully on, flushing the toilet before and at the same time as starting the shower.

Whatever I do the water cuts off just a few seconds after pressing start - always the same few seconds, no matter the flow or temperature. From another post here I suspect the solenoid - but this is a new shower, never been used - so it seems unlikely that solenoid would be faulty?

I don't know what the water pressure is in bar but it seems quite normal.

Baffled. Any suggestions would be very welcome :!:

Sponsored Links
Ring Mira. But before you do, measure your water flow. Turn the cold tap on fully & then measure how many seconds it takes to fill a litre jug.

Do any warning neons glow on the shower?

What does the problem solving section of the manual tell you?

> Turn the cold tap on fully & then measure how many
> seconds it takes to fill a litre jug.

between 1 and 2 seconds

> Do any warning neons glow on the shower?

The low flow neon comes on when the start button is pressed but goes out again straight away (it just flickers on and then off again). Power neon is on while power is supplied to the unit.

> What does the problem solving section of the
> manual tell you?

Doesn't mention this scenario at all - I had looked :)

Thanks for your suggestions. I will call Mira.

BodgerBoy said:
I've replaced a previous shower because its heater packed in. New shower is a Mira Sprint 8.5.
...a new 40 amp fuse.
I have a safety-related question that has nothing to do with your fault - what was the rating of the old shower? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
BodgerBoy said:
I've replaced a previous shower because its heater packed in. New shower is a Mira Sprint 8.5.
...a new 40 amp fuse.
I have a safety-related question that has nothing to do with your fault - what was the rating of the old shower? :eek:

Same I think. Old model was a Gainsborough Style400x.

Thanks.

Mira suggested holding the start button in - which works. Water cuts off a few seconds after releasing it. Low flow neon does not light up.

I used a new fuse because the Mira requires a 40 amp and the Gainsborough had been used with a 30 amp that wasn't up to it. It had been used on low power all the time. Not sure what fuse the Gainsborough is supposed to have but presumably more than 30 amp.

BodgerBoy said:
I used a new fuse because the Mira requires a 40 amp and the Gainsborough had been used with a 30 amp that wasn't up to it. It had been used on low power all the time. Not sure what fuse the Gainsborough is supposed to have but presumably more than 30 amp.
Could it be that the cable was not up to it either? Do you know what size it is?

An engineer should be calling tomorrow to arrange a visit so I hope to find out what's wrong soon. Don't think it is anything to do with the cable, it was fitted specifically for the shower and looks over capable if anything.

Hope the engineer can come soon. I'm having to play squash everyday just to get a shower!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back