Mains supplied hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm contemplating supplying my hot water cylinder from the mains to improve the rate of flow to the shower. How does one vent the cylinder, or doesn't it get vented?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Good plan, although it might be an idea to search this forum for advice to similar threads before you go ahead.

not if its one of these you won't be.

resize.jpg

I'm contemplating supplying my hot water cylinder from the mains to improve the rate of flow to the shower. How does one vent the cylinder, or doesn't it get vented?
Thanks.

You'd need an unvented cylinder and the whole kit of safety devices that are supplied with it.
You also need a trained installer to install it.
Don't even think about trying to modify a conventional vented cylinder or installing an unvented cylinder yourself. There are innumerable pit-falls, most of them involve flooding your house.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

You'd need an unvented cylinder and the whole kit of safety devices that are supplied with it.
You also need a trained installer to install it.
Don't even think about trying to modify a conventional vented cylinder or installing an unvented cylinder yourself. There are innumerable pit-falls, most of them involve flooding your house.

Just looked into that............1 see what you mean. Plan2 then. Are those venturi showers any good?

There are a number of approaches to get mains pressure DHW.
  1. A high flow combi. (probably the best approach as it will use less gas)
  2. A thermal store (can be DIYed)
  3. A heat bank (can be DIYed)
  4. A Venturi shower (Idea Standard Trevi Boost) for high pressure showers and low pressure everywhere else.
  5. A DPS shower Booster or heat bank conversion box that converts an existing cylinder to a heat bank (can be DIYed)
  6. Unvented cylinder (needs an approved installer, an annual service and can explode if things go wrong)
  7. Shower coil cylinder (this has a coper coil in the top of the cylinder for high pressure showers)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back