Mains Tyre Inflation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it feasible to use a transformer to send current to a tyre inflater (sold for 12v car battery use).
I would like to have this set up in my garage.
If possible could I please have details of the type of the "mains dropper" I would need to do this.

Sponsored Links
Yes. What wattage is your inflator? It should have a data plate that says 12v and xxA or xxW. Take a picture if not sure.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Though just be wary of buying some cheap as chips Chinese rubbish off ebay, probably 20% chance it will burst into flames.

Ferrex did a mini 240 volt compressor and it was incredibly cheap (I paid £14.99). It actually has some guts to it as a tyre inflator but is quite poor as a compressor for tools. It was discontinued a couple of months ago but there are quite a few appearing on sales or auction sites. Unfortunately they are quite popular for the same reason you (and I) want to use them so around £30 is a common asking price. They came with a tyre inflator/gauge, and accessories for boats/footballs etc. They are actually worth spending £30 or even more to be honest as you can inflate multiple tyres quite quickly and it packs away small enough for the boot or a cupboard.

I bought this at a car boot sale about 20 years ago (so not much help to you unfortunately) - it's very useful - trailer/caravan/bike tyres etc.

IMG_20230402_230756873.jpg

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks to all. I see there is a 30amp transformer for under £20.
Do I take it that this is not likely to blow my inflater up , because of the power it shoots out!

Do I take it that this is not likely to blow my inflater up , because of the power it shoots out!
freddiemercurystwin said 20% chance of burning your house down. Do you feel lucky? I don't know where he got the number from.

Sorry if I am missing something here, guys, but am I to believe that I am the only person in the world that still uses a manual footpump?

Sponsored Links
Back