Mains Water Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have isolated the issue and we have a mains water the leak.

The issue is - I live in a 1st floor flat (conversion) my mains water pipe runs from the street into the front out the house, through the door and into the flat below and through their bathroom and then up into my bathroom (yes I am responsible for the pipe - already checked), so when I turn the cockstop off in my bathroom - I can still hear water running. When I close the one in the street, then it stops.

The noise, we can hear that in the bathroom downstairs, though there is no sign of damp and plus the noise can run so where we hear the noise might not be the exact area where the water is leaking, am I correct in this?

1. How can we find out the leak without digging and bringing everything up?

2. What is the law in running my mains pipe through the side alley and up into flat?

Any help would be great and also thanks in advance!

Regards,
Vip

Sponsored Links
What is the law in running my mains pipe through the side alley and up into flat?

The law of water turning to ice when it's cold, if nothing else.

Can you give more exact info about what is around the pipe and where you can hear the water run?

How did you check you are responsible? I am not an expert on the subject, but my first guess would be the freeholder would be responsible, and second guess would be the guy in whose wall the pipe is.

>>Can you give more exact info about what is around the pipe and where you can hear the water run?

I can hear it in the walls in the down stairs flat. There is a channel in the wall which runs up - as when I knock around the area it is hollow.

Bottom half of the wall is tiled, the other half, plastered and they have a toilet attached to the wall.

We can hear the noise behind the toilet area, lower part of the wall.

Though does the noise travel if the leak is say 2 meters away?

>>How did you check you are responsible? I am not an expert on the subject, but my first guess would be the freeholder would be responsible, and second guess would be the guy in whose wall the pipe is

The freeholder has advised that I am responsible - however if damage has been caused by the downstairs flat, then they are - but we'll get into that later on, once I have found where the leak is.

The freeholder has advised that I am responsible -.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Leaseholder: Excuse me mr Freeholder, we have a waterleak outside the flat, and it could cost over a grand to fix it if we are out of luck; would you pay that, or shall I?"
Freeholder: "Sorry mr Leaseholder, I just collect money, I don't spend it. Well, not on your problems anyway."

Methinks it is worth spending some time to spell out the lease.

As for the leak, locate it as well as possible by listening, and open the duct if you want to diy it. Not sure that is a good idea.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you need to get a bit more invasive unfortunately.

The downstairs flat is the one that will have a water damage problem if the leak is behind their wall so thats where you need to start.

You need to knock a hole into the hollow channel as low as possible. If its wet then your leak is above. if dry then its further upstream and possibly underground. You should then know if you've got an internal repair followed by replasting and decorating/tiling or an excavation job.

Don't take your freeholders word that its your responsibility. In my experience, freeholders want your ground rent and maintenance fees but are very reluctant to fork out when repairs are needed. In general, freeholders are responsible for the fabric of the building and the supply of services. They have the right to pass on the cost to leaseholders hence the maintenance charge but the responsibility remains theirs.

Thanks a lot guys... you are a great help.

I have spoken to my builder and he has quoted me £500 (excluding parts) to do the work, he said it will take about 3 days to do it.

The work - we are going to lay a new mains feed outside and around the side and up the wall, which is going to be insulated when exposed outside and cemented around.

Regards,
Vip

I assume the downstairs have their own water supply pipe.

Any water supply pipe has to be installed ( or inspected by ) someone qualified under the Water Regulations.

Its very unusual to fit a water pipe externally although permissable if adequately insulated. Your water supply co can give information on what they consider adequate.

Thats going to be be the easiest solution to the problem as it can be a minefield doing repairs and reinstatement in someone else's bathroom.

Tony

Any water supply pipe has to be installed ( or inspected by ) someone qualified under the Water Regulations.
I'm curious to know where you think this requirement is documented.

We are correct but that stickler for unnecessary detail is about to point out that the copy you have found is only applicable in England and wales whereas you seems to be asking about a supply pipe in Scotland.

This is a plain language interpretation of the Scottish regulations ( which take a little longer to find! Tight Scots! )

http://www.sms-environmental.co.uk/water_regulations.html

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back