Maintenance Free vs Maintained Junction Boxes?

Not sure why you quoted me here, but just to clarify, is you comment in support of my comment or a disagreement with it?
I quoted you because you were the one who wrote it! As stated, it's supporting the use spring terminals in high vibration environments but was meant to suggest that this special situation doesn't necessarily translate to superiority in other situations.

Kind Regards, John.

Fair enough. -but again, just to clarify, I wasn't saying they were 'superior' or not as the case may be. As you can see from my earlier post, my comment was in disagreement with AndyPRK's suggestion that spring terminals are a new invention. IMO they have been around for quite some time.

Sponsored Links
Fair enough. -but again, just to clarify, I wasn't saying they were 'superior' or not as the case may be. As you can see from my earlier post, my comment was in disagreement with AndyPRK's suggestion that spring terminals are a new invention. IMO they have been around for quite some time.
Fair enough from me, too. I can certainly see a logic in their being specifically appropriate (and very probably superior to screwed terminals) in high vibration environments. My uncertainties about 'relative merits' in other situations is a topic we've done to death in the past. In any event, whatever one's views may be, BS7671 now permits these to be used in inaccessible locations.

Kind Regards, John.

Fair enough from me, too. I can certainly see a logic in their being specifically appropriate (and very probably superior to screwed terminals) in high vibration environments. My uncertainties about 'relative merits' in other situations is a topic we've done to death in the past. In any event, whatever one's views may be, BS7671 now permits these to be used in inaccessible locations.

Kind Regards, John.

Thanks for pointing out what BS7671 permits in relation to the JB's in question, but there wasn't really any need as i was already aware of this.

However, I am slightly confused as to what relevance your later comments have in relation to the purpose of this thread?

Thanks for pointing out what BS7671 permits in relation to the JB's in question, but there wasn't really any need as i was already aware of this.
Of course you are. It wasn't intended to 'inform you' - it was preceded by "In any event, whatever one's views may be, ....", indicating that I see no point in ressurrecting a debate about a fait accomplis which has been done to death so thoroughly in the past. Is that what you're trying to provoke?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Of course you are. It wasn't intended to 'inform you' - it was preceded by "In any event, whatever one's views may be, ....", indicating that I see no point in ressurrecting a debate about a fait accomplis which has been done to death so thoroughly in the past. Is that what you're trying to provoke?

Kind Regards, John.

Nope it isn't. I'm just slightly confused about what value you feel your comments (directed toward me) have and why you feel that you need to quote something i said and then seemingly go on to teach granny to suck eggs.

I haven't been here so much lately, so maybe you could (in a nutshell, if possible) give me your thoughts about some of the comments i have been reading recently from other regular posters here who are claiming that you seem to have elevated yourself to the 'final arbiter of all things electrical'

My apologies in advance if I'm reading things wrong, but you do seem to sometimes come across with a 'holier than thou art' way of phrasing your posts.

Why is it that so many in this 'Electrics UK' forum feel the need to constantly belittle, compete, patronise, post personal attacks etc etc...

I post a simple question, get some good responses and yet some feel the need to break topic and post accusation and childish remarks, if you met in the real-world to discuss this I wonder who'd be so arrogant/clever/big-headed then.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, so let people express their view on a topic and try not to be so f*cking rude/defensive if someone posts contrary to your opinion!

Its really pathetic guys, and this is not aimed at all that responded, if you're feeling guilty now then it's aimed at you...just grow up!?

Thanks to those that did constructively respond - sparkwright, studentspark, andyprk, JohnW2, SNM, 17thman, ericmark, much appreciated.

The 2008 17th did not make it clear that "maintenance free" junction boxes qualified as an exemption in 526.3 - has the Amendment done so?

The Ashley/Hager stuff says it's compliant with 17th Edition. Can we really argue with that?

Until such time as Ashley/Hager are responsible for writing the Wiring Regulations then yes.

I'm not against new ideas and inventions, and I'm very much opposed to the idea that things have to be done a certain way because they've always been done that way.

But as 526.3 did not say anything about MF JBs, I'm reluctant to simply take the word of a manufacturer with a vested interest that his product qualified as an exception.

If there are suitable standards for MF JBs, and if JPEL/64 are happy to add something like "(vi) a maintenance free joint complying with BS EN ######" (which they may have done in the recent amendment, hence my question) then fine. But until then....

The Ashley/Hager stuff says it's compliant with 17th Edition. Can we really argue with that?

No you cannot, the regs state MI's must be obeyed without any conditions, laughable but a fact.

I think Hager updated their literature recently to confirm it's ok to use these jbs in inaccesible places. I'm sure there was a thread about it.

The 2008 17th did not make it clear that "maintenance free" junction boxes qualified as an exemption in 526.3 - has the Amendment done so?
Yes, as we've discussed before (although I think you were on holiday when BGB was published), the Amendment has legitimised the 'non-accessible' use of these JBs. 526.3(vi) now says:
"Equipment complying with BS5733 for a maintenance-free accessory and marked with the symbol (MF) ['MF' withoin a circle] and installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions"
Very soon after BGB appeared, Ashley/Hager started putting sticky labelling on their JBs, and subsequently incorporated the symbol into the moulding.

Kind Regards, John.

Surely we do have to take the word of manufacturers. Hager are reputable.

It would be like buying a switch rated at 100 amp, then saying 'what if it isn't'.

I too would be happier though if the MF stuff had some further approval, as there is still some uncertainty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back