Major bathroom re-furb - materials advice sought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning

We are hastily planning out what to do with our bathroom and have settled on the decision to totally replace everything (suite, walls, floor ceiling the whole lot!)

Whilst I try to plan the best order out to do everything (we only have this one bathroom in the house :cry: ) I need a bit of advice on the best materials for some of the jobs intended.

Floor - currently T&G pine, final condition will be tiled with UF heating. Intend to replace T&G with WBP ply - is 18mm or 25mm thickness best? Room is only 6' square.

Walls - currently lots of lime plaster & layers of tiles. Intend to take back to brick and batten & board. I will use a cement backer board in the shower area. Do I need to use this behind the sink as well? For the rest of the walls I am intending to use a "moisture check" type plasterboard. Is this OK or overkill? For battens I am intending to use 2x1" rough cut battens which are described as "50 x 25mm Slate/Tile Batten NW Green Treated " in the shop. Are these suitable?

Ceiling - currenly un-insulated (winter = brrrr) with lath and plaster directly on the rafters. I intend to rip this out, introduce 2" insulation between rafters (difficult to fit over L&P due to height contsraints) ensuring suitable ventilation gap, then overboard with a "vapour check" type plasterboard before finishing with either a skim or timber of some description. Again does this sound a reasonable way to proceed?

I also will be tidying up all the supply plumbing and replacing the waste pipes with new, re-tiling, swapping current bath for a shower enclosure, and probably spending a fortune!

Any suggestions appreciated, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Hi...

Do you have a picture of your bathroom at the moment?

I have just put electric underfloor heating in my bathroom with tiles...

Does take a while to heat up ( upto 20 to 30 Mins on a clod day before you notice a significant differnce )...

I have tiled my entire bathroom all the way, floor and walls minus the cieling of course...

Pictures are up on //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=139349

You might want to also consider ( if your into it ) installing speaker cables whislt the floor is up, I have done this in my bathroom with speakers hidden under the bath... Sounds awsome when I am getting ready for work... makes a change from small tinny sounding radio...

Are you thinking of any new plumbing? Megaflow, water softner etc etc?

Whilst I was doing my place I was recommended a water softner and mega flow ( Dont think the megaflow is making any difference but I may have plumbed it in wrong!! )

Water softner is working fine and I can really feel the difference in the water...

Good photos, I've loads of the rest of the house refurb.

I have a few photos of the boathroom but the room is so small I cannot get far enough away from one wall to get everything on one shot.

Plumbing will simply be a tidy and re-route of supply pipes (to conceal them) plus replacement of the waste pipes with new ones.

No idea what a megaflo is but I have a powerful combi delivering lots of hot water, I think the water is already quite soft.

If I go for UF heating then it will be with a timer/thermo control so it can come on 1/2 hour or so before I intend to use the room.

Still debating the order in which to do everything, as soon as I have a firm plan I'll post it for criticism!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back