Making a shower tray.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Need to remove a bath from the MIL's house and replace with a shower. Instead of using a regular stone resin or plastic tray, I was thinking of making one using some 18mm marine ply that I have. The size would be around 90x120ish.

If I were to shape it so as to have a low point, tank and tile the whole thing and fit a drain - would it work? Thinking it would be along the same lines as a wet-room level entry tray? :confused:

Any thoughts?

Cheers. :D

Sponsored Links
Sorry - I posted prematurely. I'll be back if anyone calls.

Why not just do the whole floor of your bathroom as a wet room floor and forget about the crazy plywood shower tray idea?

Sponsored Links
I'm fairly sure I can make it completely ridgid. That's no prob. Was just wondering if there was something i was missing from my cunning plan before i embarked upon it.

Budgets a bit tight, hence just replacing bath with shower - no wet room.

Is there a specific wet-room type of drain I would need to use or would a regular shower tray one work?

Cheers. :D

Dallmer do a huge range of drains. I used one in my wet room and so far it has proved faultless. http://www.dallmer.de/sanitaer/html_gb/index_gb.html can be seen for sale herehttp://www.boundarybathrooms.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_WetFloorDrains.html

A normal waste needs to be fitted into a suitable recess, which I suppose you could do with your ply by using a router, but then you will have a drop from the surface of your tiles into the drain. These wet room drains can be just butted up to a suitable sized round hole in your ply. They do have to be fully supported underneath though in a sand/ cement mix in a suitable 'box' so that they can bear the weight of a person standing on them. On the top surface you mount the square grate surround which is the same thickness as your tiles, thus you end up with no step down from the tile surface into the drain. A square stainless grate looks good too.

In my experience as a DIYer it takes quite a lot of work to 'set' the lower half of the drain at exactly the right height in the sand/ cement mix to ensure that your flooring material (your ply) butts up perfectly to the rubber seal. Your ply will need to be very well supported on the joists, possibly with extra battening between the joists to make it extremely rigid. Then tank throughout all around the drain, across the base and up the walls and Bob's your uncle!

PP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back