Making a sliding shelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is in the correct section, apologies if it isn't.

I have a piano keyboard (10kg) that I'd like to somehow pull out from under my computer desk, for music creation etc. Unfortunately it would be too low to play at the height it would be stored under the desk, so the options I guess would be:

-Just store it under there (on a sliding shelf) and manually lift it onto the desk when needed (a bit fiddly due to weight/angle)
-Make a full stand (with legs, on wheels) that can support it while being played, that is somehow height-adjustable (potentially a bit too complex)
-Make a sliding shelf that pulls out from the back (under the desk), and then when it gets to the end/front of the desk, it then guides up onto the desk itself (like the pic below), with some small feet to protect the desk - my preferred option I think, if it's possible.

I'd like the piano to be pushed all the way to the back of the desk when not in use, for legroom etc.

First of all does this sound feasible, using some sort of runners and a special bracket etc.? And, how would I go about it?

I'd be really grateful for any help, as DIY unfortunately isn't my forté!

Thanks guys,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply!

It's 15cm high, 31cm deep, and 130cm wide (shelf itself will be approx 140cm wide).

Sponsored Links
That wouldn't work unfortunately as it would be far too low for playing, and for knee-clearance etc.!

Bed side table would be in the middle so no leg room, and not very stable (piano is 130cm wide).

The only options really are either a height-adjustable table on castors, that I can pull out; or a slide-out shelf that comes out and over to rest on the top of the desk. If I can find some special brackets or something that will do the latter, that would be the best option, if anyone has any ideas? The last option would be to make a new custom desk, but that would be costly, and also I have a lot of the same furniture range in my office at the moment, which perfectly matches.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sadly that bedside table is too high @ 74cm, as it would need to be max. 52cm high for the piano to be stored on, and then raised to approx. 67cm.

Here is an idea using a standard sliding keyboard shelf. Then all you need to add would be the metal brackets which allow the shelf to rotate upwards

The red shelf may or may not be required for a bit of rigidity

Its just a concept, so you would have to source the stuff and adapt it to something along these lines

You can get sliding keyboard shelf with a cantilever action so it pops up to match the existing desk height.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back