Making a sliding shelf

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I think I'm going to do something along the lines of either:

-The lift-up coffee table mechanism (thanks freddy)/the concept posted by woody, e.g. 2 brackets on both edges that then lift up to change the height
-The keyboard tray ones e.g. with the bracket(s) fixed to the top of the desk (either a central bracket, or two either at the edges or a bit further in), not the sides

So either (sorry about the bad drawings):

or

For the coffee-table type one, I'm thinking along the lines of having it slide out on a runner, then being able to lift it out when it reaches the end of the runner, to then rest on its brackets to make it higher. Would two thinner brackets be better than one thicker central one (on the edges of the shelf), for rigidity? And, I guess it would be better to put a metal bracket on the edge of the actual shelf for the brackets to screw into, rather than screwing the brackets directly to the wood?

For the keyboard-tray type one, perhaps the bracket fixed to the top of the desk would be hinged towards the back (locking when in the top position), allowing it to be positioned at the back of the desk (underneath) when not in use. Or I could perhaps have the brackets on runners that are fixed to the top of the desk, allowing it to be pushed back. Though this option is perhaps more complicated to do?

I need to figure out which is best/neatest/easiest to operate in terms of it folding out/back to where I want it; but just with regards to rigidity (the keyboard is 10kg and doesn't really want to wobble/move at all/much when played), I wonder which would be better? The shelf would be moving up approx. 16cm from its lower position, when in use, and the depth of the shelf will be approx 31cm (just over the depth of the piano).

Thanks again guys.

Sponsored Links
my brother bought one off ebay and it lasted a few week but he can be a heavy handed oaf :D :D

Sponsored Links
Haha :)

I'm leaning towards the first option (coffee-table style brackets) as I think it will be easier to make, and more subtle/out of the way when not in use - do you think this will be sufficient to provide enough support for the piano when at the higher level and being played?

If so, does anyone have any tips exactly what to use for the brackets and how to attach them to the shelf itself for maximum stability: should I be using two brackets like this (//) or one central one; should they be just screwed directly to the edge of the shelf, or should I also make a metal end-panel for them to screw into; would they need additional bracing e.g. like (/\/) to be more stable?

Thanks guys, any help appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back