Making an opening in a non-loadbearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I havent begun this yet but wanted to assess feasability.

I own a small property where there is little space for a boiler in the rest of the house (its an 1890s terraced cottage, structurally sound but needing modernisation).

I once visited an incredibly similar property where a small cupboard had been constructed above the stairs (where head room was not obstructed) and a small access door (about 120cm x 100cm) had been made in the wall to the adjoining bedroom, and the boiler fitted in this space, on the external wall.

I was considering something similar as the solution to my own boiler problem (the boiler itself obviously installed by a gas safe engineer). The wall to the bedroom adjoining the stairwell is a single layer brick built separation, itself build onto the first floor joist structure. It is not, however, loadbearing as it runs parallel to the joists in the loft and no ceiling joist is supported by the wall itself. I only intend a 90cm wide opening but there would still be about two feet of brickwork to support above the opening to the new cupboard space.

-Would an RSJ or concrete lintel be more appropriate?

-Should building control also need to be called in given the nature of the wall?

Many thanks,

niccon

Sponsored Links
If you are sure it's non-loadbearing then a 100x65 pre-stressed concrete lintel will be ample.
You can either support the masonry above with strongboys, or remove and rebuild.

It might be easier to remove the wall above the opening instead of trying to prop it, and then reinstating with timber stud and plasterboard

Hi guys thanks for the replies!

Yep am positive its not a loadbearing wall as the only thing above it is screeding and plaster (no joists) and it doesnt extend the length of the house so it cant be stressed along its width either.

Removing the wall above the opening and then rebuilding seems like a pretty good idea as it will save me having to negotiate the height from the stairs with anvers/strongboys.

If I were to reinstate the wall using timber stud and plasterboard would I still need the prestressed concrete lintel or could the whole thing be done in timber?

Many thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys thanks for the replies!

Yep am positive its not a loadbearing wall as the only thing above it is screeding and plaster (no joists) and it doesnt extend the length of the house so it cant be stressed along its width either.

Removing the wall above the opening and then rebuilding seems like a pretty good idea as it will save me having to negotiate the height from the stairs with anvers/strongboys.

If I were to reinstate the wall using timber stud and plasterboard would I still need the prestressed concrete lintel or could the whole thing be done in timber?

Many thanks again.

Yes that would be ok, build the whole thing from timber

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back