Makita or Bosch 240 volt SDS Hammer drills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will be doing some DIY work in the house removing floor tiles and also putting in some new cables in the kitchen which will need to be chiselled out. Also cleaning cement of patio slabs for re cementing outside.
My question is should I go for a SDS plus hammer drill like the Bosch GBH3-28DFR or the Makita HR281FT. Also there is the Bosch GBH2-28 to think about. But which one is the better built unit as Makita used to be my choice many years ago but I assume now made in China. Any ideas on which one is better built and capable of chiselling concrete off pavement slabs without burning out? Is the Bosch GBH3 still built in Germany ?

FlyingBrick

Sponsored Links
I have a bosch 2-24 dfr from 15 years ago which has lasted well, but I would go for a 4 kg hammsr drill for chasing and chiselling.

I would buy Makita this time round for the three year warranty they offer, and their reliability, as witnessed by their widespread use by virtually every trade on every site.

Blup

Thanks Blup

Have not bought a new Makita power tool for over 20 years so did not know if their quality has gone down hill since they are no longer made in Japan to my knowledge. Most tools I have will last my lifetime (3 Makita power tools)
but have seen some real rubbish being sold form China recently and Screwfix are not the cheapest but on my doorstep in Norwich.
Did not know if the later Blue range from Bosch are built to the same standard and if you log onto their website for extended warranty I think that covers three years also?
Difficult decision to make?

The price difference on the websites are within a tenner for the Bosch GBH3-28DFR or the Makita HR281FT which makes it even more difficult to decide?

FlyingBrick

I changed from blue Bosch to Makita a few years ago - as a DIYER - and find the quality across their range is exceptional. They rarely advertise - the quality speaks for itself in the share they have of the world's power tool market - in the UK have excellent manufacturer backup.

That's not to say Bosch or Dewalt make poor tools, but using mainly cordless tools is an incentive to use the same manufacturer for battery compatibility.

Personally I would have no hesitation is buying a Makita hammer drill.

Blup

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi Blub

Have gone with the Makita HR218FT from Axminster Tools as they put in some drill bits and the FT model comes with the quick change chuck. Some companies sell £40 cheaper for the non FT model but then I would have to purchase the 3 jaw chuck separately plus some SDS drills to play with.
Let you know what I think when it turns up via DPD despatch. If I need some real heavy bashing away on concrete slabs then will hire a Hilti but for normal inside house work the Makita should be ok. Fingers crossed.

FlyingBrick

I've been using Makita rotaries for a while without issue. Have a pair of cordless, a pair of 110 from the 80s and I know a few people with more recent 110s without problems.

Makita make stuff in plants all over the world including Telford, England which is one of the reasons I use them. I'd say they are a consistently reliable brand. I've had no issues with them at all and I have a lot of their kit. Also have some Blue Bosch which I'm happy with.

Check out the reviews for Titan, Ive got the small one and the 14kg breaker. My guys use them on site a fair bit -cheaper than a 1 off hire.

I know plenty of trademen use them.

Great tools for the money.

+1 for titan.
Ive got the 6.3kg sds drill/breaker and its been great for a multitude of jobs. Cant fault it for the £

Lots of stuff is made in China now, and there's nothing wrong with that provided it's made from quality parts, which is down to manufacturer specification.

As above, for DIY use and even light pro use the Titan range is pretty solid, and with a no quibble 2 year warranty if you do break it you just take it back for a replacement

Thanks chaps for all your help in SDS Hammer Drills.
Will go for the Titan for the big heavy stuff and have used my new Makita for the small hammering. Tried the Makita on my garage concrete floor and the bit went through in 30 secs compared with my normal percussion drill which went through in 20 mins and burnt out two normal masonry drills. Wish I had used a SDS drill years ago for DIY work at home and not just business use with company equipment on site. As they say you live and learn!
Agree Bosch and Makita seem to be reliable and well made still. (have the old Makita 9.6 volt 6094D cordless drills from many years ago and they are up and running still)

FlyingBrick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back