Man hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is a picture of the man hole in my front.

http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mnholejg5.png

What i need to know is i am going to pave it and i want to disguise the man hole with a man hole cover what you put the flags in.

What my question is i have enquired about a man hole cover and i can only get one the size of the metal lid which is 24 inch x 18 inch.

But i am going to take out the whole lot with the concrete as well as it is horrid.

How do i get around this as the chamber is the size of the concrete surrounding the cover.

Thx

Sponsored Links
go to somewhere like drain center (part of wolseley group) with your picture and the dimensions they should be able to get you a suitable hollow top one that you can set flag stones into
the chamber underneath is usually brick built and should allow for a slight variation in size of manhole cover
hope that helps

When i take the hole cover and surrounding out the hole is 3ft x 2ft.

Do you mean they might have man hole covers what you can put flags in that size?

Thx for fast reply.

Sponsored Links
I can raise the chamber surrounding with engineering brick if i am correct, but how and can i reduce the hole size what you see when you take the surrounding off.

Sorry if i am confusing

Could i re use that concrete what i took out. By removng it knocking down three course then replacing that back down then build up with three layer of engineering brick to suit man hole cover.

Would that work you think?

the new cover should be of similar size but it will have a different top which you set the slabs into then it is just put onto the base frame which you slab up to on all sides
you just need to set the base to the height you need with sand/cement mix on top of bricks

the base part has an external lip which you cover with your flagstones

the inner or top part is recessed for the flags to go into it so creating a lid that is tiled with your flagstone of choice the lid is then put onto the base part and remains removable for access to the drain

Thx for help i understand now.

I was just thinking would it be possible to lower the original concrete what the lid is in now the build up to my required level what i need so that the new man hole cover fits?

thx i know how to do it.

The building yard by mine only do 18 x 24 inch man hole covers and i need 20 x 26 inch anyone know where to get them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back