Manoeuvring picnic table

something like this

wheel.jpg

Suppose you put a bolt through it, with a couple of washers under the head to reduce wear and friction, then a couple more on the other side, then pushed the bolt through a hole drilled in the side of the leg, then a couple more washers, then a nut.

that's the basic idea.

It can be improved with a bit of tube as a bearing, and additional nuts and washers to clamp it firmly to the leg to prevent the wood wearing.

DIY sheds sell that sort of thing

edit
yes, studding is cheaper than long bolts, and you cut it to whatever length you want. Put a nut on each side of the mark before you cut it, so that winding the nut off will clean away burrs or damage to the thread from your saw.

Sponsored Links
studding

sold in lengths between 500mm and 5 metres, almost always in Metric threads, eg. M8 is 8mm diameter

studding1.jpg

I like the idea of the wheel and wheelbarrow motion but can’t fathom how the wheel would be fitted and where. Can I have some more explanation on this please

You would add a wheel to each leg, at one side of the table, so two wheels. You could lift the other end to just push it like a wheel barrow. Easy way to add the two wheels would be at the same side as the photo is taken from, which would make it a little more difficult to move, rather than at the left or right end. where you find the wheels, you may need to shorten the legs to keep it level in use.

I'd put a wheel on each leg.

If it is standing on a lawn, it will not be rolling around on its own.

If they sink into ruts and get stuck, you could use pairs of wheels, one on each side of the leg, on a single axle.

Sponsored Links
I'd put a wheel on each leg.

If it is standing on a lawn, it will not be rolling around on its own.

If they sink into ruts and get stuck, you could use pairs of wheels, one on each side of the leg, on a single axle.

Thinking a bit more....

If the OP fixed an axle to the sides of the leg timbers at one end of the table, with U bolts - he could just use two wheels, enabling it to be lifted from the other end. Easier than lifting from the side.

yes, like a wheelbarrow.

(I meant a wheel on each of the four legs, like a tea trolley)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back