Manufacturers' claims - patently untrue

About the one coat paints - if you read their very extensive terms and conditions it is only for impeccably perfect walls with a neutral colour to start with (i.e. not any normal colour!) and you have to apply it like Leonardo Da Vinci...

I don't use that crap as they have very high VOCs and are really bad for the environment - stick with the normal water based acrylics with minimal VOCs and just do another coat. You'll have to with one-coaters anyway!

Sponsored Links
Not only are VOCs bad for the environment, but remember a few years a back the problem with sheep dip being responsible for the early onset of Alzheimers, and memory loss and othere neurological diseases? Well, Sheep Dip is a VOC, and that was what was causing it. The stuff in paint is almost as bad, so you don't want paint thats got lots of VOCs in...

Unfortunatelly, you will probably mysteriously forget this in the paint aisle of B & Q....

http://www.hhinst.com/Artperils.html

I was incredibly miffed at some paints I bought from a certain DIY shop a couple of weeks ago, as after I had been using the paint for a few minutes and noticed the fumes I checked and saw "more than 50% VOCs".

I thought (naively) that almost all interior paints were water based now. I was wrong. Everything I had bought. Primer, eggshell, varnish. All based on nasty stuff. The environmental damage is doubled because what do you do with the white spirit after cleaning your brushes in it? I think we know what 90% of people do with it. And it isn't "take it to the nearest safe disposal facility".

On the positive side, the finish is far superior to the water based coverings I used before... :confused:

Sorry, guys, pseudo science alert again, VOC (Volatile organic compounds) could range from Horse Sh*t to benzene. Slightly different kettle of fish. Happy to feed my roses horse sh1t (hormones and antbiotics apart) but wouldn't dream of putting benzene anyware near anything.

Sheep dip, the problem is/was caused by organo-phospahtes paint does not contain these chemicals. It does however contain some fairly nasty stuff in the case of Hammerite, xylene which is highly carcinogenic. Good ventilation is the key.

Also, did you know it is now illegal to use or even own Creosote.

Sponsored Links
Oh heck. I got p*ssed on some last night.... Should I hand the rest in?

If something contains xylene or other carcinogens, do they have to declare them? I think I will be re-reading those paint tin labels tonight...

Pass the red wine, I need to stop worrying! :LOL:

Eddie M said:
Also, did you know it is now illegal to use or even own Creosote.

Minor correction if I may be so bold.

Tis illegal to sell creosote.

Tis illegal to use creosote.

Tis illegal to dump creosote down drains etc.

Tis not illegal to posess creosote???

Tis not illegal to drink creosote, so carry on Secure. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Why the ???

To make posession of creosote illegal would be absurd, as it would turn unsuspecting people into criminals overnight.

Some products in this country - it is not illegal to buy or sell, but is to USE.

I'm not sure, I think I read somewhere that it is "against EU regulations" to possess creosote, I could probably do a bit of reasearch though, just to ensure that I'm not talking b*llo*ks, as is oft the case!

My mother (who always did the decorating in our house) stopped using gloss paints, varnishes and others with high VOCs years ago as the fumes affected our asthma badly. So in decorating my house, I don't use them. It's easier sticking with water-based acrylics as you don't need to use white spirit or anything to clean the brushes, either.

The thing I found shocking is, in Darlington anyway - I went to B&Q to ask where to dispose of waste paint. They didn't know! I went to the local waste tip, who also didn't know! (pretty worrying) Neither did a local decorator (very worrying) and the council just told me to ask the waste tip. (seriously worrying that they didn't know) So instead of all that hassle, most people will stupidly just pour it down the drain or chuck it in the tip. (I've hung onto mine, I have a garage full of paint! I've used most of it in redecorating my mother's house)

Instead of varnishing the wood in my house I've used a natural wax polish, beeswax and lavender I think, which has given it a lovely natural finish and not aggravated my asthma or my kittens' noses!

There should be easily accessed paint disposal sites available at the local tip AND preferably beside DIY stores. Also there should be more visible warnings posted on all gloss and high-VOC paint sections in stores and on the packaging itself. At the moment they're labelled, but like AdamW says, it's easily missed and people often don't realise til they're using the stuff.

minxlj said:
Instead of varnishing the wood in my house I've used a natural wax polish, beeswax and lavender I think, which has given it a lovely natural finish and not aggravated my asthma or my kittens' noses!

I know I shouldn't say this but lavender (oil i presume), "natural wax polish?" and beeswax are all VOC's. :cry:

Eddie M said:
I know I shouldn't say this but lavender (oil i presume), "natural wax polish?" and beeswax are all VOC's.
Further than that, just about anything that has any smell whatsoever (especially nice smells) contains VOC.

Next time you smell egg, bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes being fried, the scent of roses, freshly mown grass, or planed pine, you owe it all to VOCs.

There are a few items that are detectable without VOC content. Examples are Chlorine, Hydrogen Cyanide, Hydrogen Sulphide. You pays your money and takes your choice.

You shouldn't tar all VOCs with the same brush :)

TexMex said:
You shouldn't tar all VOCs with the same brush :)

Would that be the same brush I use to brush my VOC-containing minty toothpaste? :LOL:

Probably. As long as it isn't the same one you've just creosoted the fence with..

Sponsored Links
Back